Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ethical to turn potentionally gay babies straight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ethical to turn potentionally gay babies straight?

sorry, this is the only thing I could come up with for a thread title. i'm too tired to think of something amusing.

So we have this research into gay rams. The scientists want to adjust the hormonal balance to see if they can turn them straight. This has some gay activists up in arms. Including a famous gay tennis player. They want research to be abandoned.

You guys really don't have to guess too hard on my point of view. For the most part, I'm against outlawing research or restricting it (except in obvious cases of cruelty).

But the real interesting question happens if this research pans out and we find a way to treat pregnant mothers to ensure their babies aren't gay. Is it right to ensure a straight baby? I think it is. It's the parents decision after all. They can choose not to.

Well, that's about the same to me as wanting a male or female child. So, take aside the more touchy subject. Is it ethical to want a male or female child?

If you'd answer yes, then it would be very difficult to argue no to this. And the contrapositive is as well true; if you'd say no, then it would be very difficult to argue yes for this.

(Assume you can determine the sex of the child without any damage to the fetus ... just by taking a "boy" or "girl" tablet right before intercourse.)
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

GM babies! (Engineered for more nutricional value!)

I think research into the causes (of basically everything) is a good idea. If we allow parents to choose to have engineered straight children, we'd also need to allow parents to choose to have engineered gay children as well, to be consistant.

I don't see a problem with either option, as it's not really a quality of life issue. (In contrast, engineering a blind child would be wrong...) But I assume that a large portion of our society would think that engineering gay children would not be acceptable.

Comment

Completely ethical
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

A more important question - is it ethical to turn potentially straight babies gay? Some gay (or rather, lesbian) parents may want that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
            GM babies! (Engineered for more nutricional value!)

I think research into the causes (of basically everything) is a good idea. If we allow parents to choose to have engineered straight children, we'd also need to allow parents to choose to have engineered gay children as well, to be consistant.
            We should engineer out kids to be bi, so as to maximize their potential future happiness.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
              We should engineer out kids to be bi, so as to maximize their potential future happiness.
              Yah, to be consistant that option would have to be included too.

But eventually... asexual (reproductively speaking). Then they don't have to bother with the hassle of finding outside sources at all!

Amoeba babies!

Comment

but that would be no fun!!

E_T
                Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                Worship the Comic here!
                Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

I know a girl who wants all her future sons (she wants to have 12 children) to be gay.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

We once had a period of eugenics in United States during the early twentieth century that targeted people with mental disabilities.

Are we to have another round of eugenics motivated by hatred and ignorance?
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"Once"?

With prenatal testing it's possible to screen babies for disabilities (such as autism, or being female) and have the baby aborted if any of the undesirable traits are present.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I know a girl who wants all her future sons (she wants to have 12 children) to be gay.

Hopefully prenatal screening will be advanced enough by the time she has children that they'll be able to abort the kids who inherit their mother's retardation.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                          I don't think it's ethical to have 12 children
                          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis

I don't think it's ethical to have 12 children
                            QFT

It seems that there are at least one sane poster at poly OT
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's also unethical to doublepost
                              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                              X