Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly, "holidays" as in "days you don't have to work or go to school, two of which are Christmas and New Year's Day."

That's two good things about Latvian already for this time of the year. There are two words for "holiday", one of which means, literally, "free days". That's usually used in a general "happy holidays".
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Still, to Jewish people, Hannukah is far more important than Christmas
      Yes, but they won't get offended if someone, coming from a majority of 95% non-jews, would wish them a marry holiday that is not their own.

Comment

Re: Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

Originally posted by Verto

FWIW, I (work in retail) now wish everyone a Happy Hanukah, when they wish me a Merry Christmas.

I can say either -- Happy Holidays, or Merry Christmas. My problem is when PC weenies try to claim that either one is somehow offensive.

I wish many people at Super Target, when I'm working there, Merry Christmas.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          I can assure you most Jews don't get offended by "Merry Christmas". I have no doubt that the occasional guy does, but most of us won't have a negative thought about Merry Christmas.

Thank you! I know I would not be offended, if for example, someone wished me Happy Kwanzaa.

Comment

I'm clad the finnish word for christmas doesn't have anything to do with this Jesus-character.

Somewhat off-topic, what is the official jewish view on this Jesus-fellow? Just some crazy fellow, thought he was the Messiah? Is there and official view?
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I'm suprised the Brits haven't started posting on we say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Christmas".
              USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
              The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                Thank you! I know I would not be offended, if for example, someone wished me Happy Kwanzaa.
                That's because you secretly wish you were black .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                  I'm clad the finnish word for christmas doesn't have anything to do with this Jesus-character.

Somewhat off-topic, what is the official jewish view on this Jesus-fellow? Just some crazy fellow, thought he was the Messiah? Is there and official view?
                  why would there even be an official view?

For example, I can't think of an official christian view on anything at all.

Comment

The Jewish view is that, basically, Jesus was a regular guy. Not God, not Messiah and not a prophet.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
                      I'm suprised the Brits haven't started posting on we say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Christmas".
                      Why would they do that? They say both with regularity.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

That's because you secretly wish you were black .

GASP! Who told you about my secret?

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
                          Yeah, right!

Merry Holidays, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                            For example, I can't think of an official christian view on anything at all.
                            Yeah there is!

That this guy:

Ain't Jesus .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Yeah there is!

That this guy:

Ain't Jesus .
                              pfah! just an informal consensus

Comment

What is stupid is fundy Christians celebrating Christmas at all (being that there is no way you could interpret the scriptures as having Jesus born in late December), or not *****ing more about secular images like Santa Claus (who is such a bastardization of St. Nicholas as to have no religious meaning anymore) and smowmen and trees (witchcraft and paganism) to suppedly celebrate the birth of the Messiah.

I can only imagine what would happen if instead of that insipid fatman, we had a St. Nicholas like the one in Europe, you know, the guy who looks like an actual bishop? Oh, and add his black little Moor too, and show him destroying pagan temples and giving dowries and helping sailors.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X