Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

"Happy Holidays!" vs. "Merry Christmas!" - what's the big deal? Why is the first seen as some kind of attack on Christmas? Why do people threaten boycotts of stores that wish you a happy holiday, instead of a merry Christmas? To me, the most offensive of the two is "Merry Christmas", since it seems to imply that everyone celebrates Christmas, and that no one celebrates, say, Hanukah. Happy Holidays can at least be seen as a recognition of the other holidays, like Kwanzaa, that take place at the same time of year. So, what is the big deal? Where do people get off acting as if they are being persecuted, as if Christianity is under attack, when you wish someone a happy holiday?

FWIW, I (work in retail) now wish everyone a Happy Hanukah, when they wish me a Merry Christmas. Childish? Sure. But I do it FOR SCIENCE! MULTICULTURALISM! or something.

Only one person has ever said anything in response.

Customer: [in offended tone] Do I LOOK Jewish?
    Me: Do I look Christian?

I wish I had asked him what a Jew LOOKED like.

Re: Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

Originally posted by Verto
    FWIW, I (work in retail) now wish everyone a Happy Hanukah, when they wish me a Merry Christmas.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Customer: [in offended tone] Do I LOOK Jewish?
      Me: Do I look Christian?

Comment

You're all going to Hell anyway, so it doesn't matter.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Merry Whatever.
          Blah

Comment

Merry Brandybuck ?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's the same deal with gay marriage. No one with any sense sees how allowing gay marriage devalues heterosexual marriage, but that is still one of the complaints. Same with this. There is no rational basis why Happy Holidays devalues Christmas, since Christmas IS a holiday encompased by "Happy Holidays".

Heaven forbid if people celebrate something else.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah, Merry and Pippin
                Blah

Comment

In my more naïve days, I thought the "holidays" in question were Christmas and New Year.

These days I vaguely dislike "happy holidays" because the associated odour of political correctcy and americanization. As for store salespeople, I suggest you simply shut up - you have no business wishing me a happy Christmas, Hanukkah, or anything else in the first place!
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    Yeah, Merry and Pippin
                    Hobbits know how to have a good time

Comment

What LC said, I don't hate the saying just why it's said.

Comment

Don't mind Happy Holidays. Nice sentiment.

I hate "Season's Greetings". This is akin to saying "Hello during Christmas" or something else absurd. There is no sentiment.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

FWIW, I (work in retail)
                          Walmart employees are seldom hot.

Best Buy, OTOH, has a much higher hottness ratio.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Heaven forbid if people celebrate something else.
                            Yeah, that's the idea.

Happy Holidays!

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Walmart employees are seldom hot.

Best Buy, OTOH, has a much higher hottness ratio.
                              Geek Squad gets your juices flowing?
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X