Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Asher: I agree, but that is neither here nor there. Cute ladies, with no knowledge, at Best Buy.

Comment

Re: Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

Originally posted by Verto
      Happy Holidays can at least be seen as a recognition of the other holidays, like Kwanzaa, that take place at the same time of year. So, what is the big deal? Where do people get off acting as if they are being persecuted, as if Christianity is under attack, when you wish someone a happy holiday?
      Kwanzaa doesn't deserve any special recognition. It was only created to try to force there to be an alternative to celebrating christmas. It certainly was not some pre-existing holiday whose importance was inflated to compete with Christmas either. It was completely fabricated from whole cloth specifically to compete against Christmas.

It's a mistake to pander to that sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Geek Squad gets your juices flowing?
        Not the geek squad types.

But the ones that work in the CD/DVD areas and audio, sometimes car audio...are hot. Especially when you go to a young college town.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Re: Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

Originally posted by Geronimo
          Kwanzaa doesn't deserve any special recognition. It was only created to try to force there to be an alternative to celebrating christmas. .

Somebody needs to learn about the history of Christmas.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

@ Asher: I agree, but that is neither here nor there. Cute ladies, with no knowledge, at Best Buy.
            This is certainly relevant. We do not wish ugly people merry christmas.

Comment

Kwanzaa doesn't deserve any special recognition. It was only created to try to force there to be an alternative to celebrating christmas. It certainly was not some pre-existing holiday whose importance was inflated to compete with Christmas either. It was completely fabricated from whole cloth specifically to compete against Christmas.

And the Romans decided they needed a unifying element, so they took an existing holiday and declared it Jebusday. Both were fabricated for the same purposes.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why do people get their panties in a knot over "Happy Holidays"?

And the Romans decided they needed a unifying element, so they took an existing holiday and declared it Jebusday. Both were fabricated for the same purposes.
                Kwanzaa didn't take an existing holiday and transform it. It was a protest against Christmas.

For the record I would have been giving the thumbs down to jebusday too in roman times when they offered it as a way to undermine another holiday they didn't like.

It's all in the motivations. A Holiday needs sound foundations or a long honored history to be deserving of the slightest respect.

Jebusday didn't have either of those for at least hundreds of years and Kwanzaa certainly doesn't have either of those and I'd much rather it simply go away to make our lives simpler.
                Last edited by Geronimo; December 22, 2006, 14:33.

Comment

I vote we all gather around the Festivus aluminum pole and tell Geronimo how disappointed we are in him

Comment

Made up competing holidays are the best kind:

"A Festivus for the Rest of Us"
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Anyway, christmas is about getting crawling drunk, stuffing yourself till you're violently ill, and generally being a consumerist tool. Can't imagine why the Christians try and defend it.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I vote we all gather around the Festivus aluminum pole and tell Geronimo how disappointed we are in him
                        Bah Humbug!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Made up competing holidays are the best kind:

"A Festivus for the Rest of Us"
                          it is awfully nice to have new ways of offending people by not including their new deliberately competing holiday in our holiday related activities!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Somebody needs to learn about the history of Christmas.
                            actually I've known that since I was a small child and I've looked down at the romans for it (among countless other offenses) ever since.
                            Last edited by Geronimo; December 22, 2006, 14:31.

Comment

Christmas is all about stealing holidays.

Us Capitalists use it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                                Anyway, christmas is about getting crawling drunk, stuffing yourself till you're violently ill, and generally being a consumerist tool. Can't imagine why the Christians try and defend it.

Who wouldn't leap at a chance to defend something like that!

Comment

Working...
                                X