Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saparmurat Niyazov dies at 66; Niyazovistan ceases to exist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saparmurat Niyazov dies at 66; Niyazovistan ceases to exist...

Turkmenistan leader Niyazov dies

By Marat Gurt 10 minutes ago

ASHGABAT (Reuters) - Turkmenistan's President-for-life Saparmurat Niyazov had died, state television said on Thursday.

Niyazov had been in power in his reclusive Central Asian state, the second largest natural gas producer in the former Soviet Union, since 1985.

There was no designated successor and Niyazov's death raises concerns about the transfer of power in the country, with foreign oil and gas companies sizing up opportunities for investment.

Niyazov's health had been a top secret in Turkmenistan where he went by the title Turkmenbashi (Head of the Turkmen) the Great.

"Turkmenbashi the Great has died," said a news presenter on state television.

The presenter said the 66-year-old leader had died of cardiac arrest. A government source said the Turkmen leader died overnight.

The television ran still images of a national flag in a black-bordered frame.

The government was due to hold an emergency meeting later in the day, the television said.

A special commission has been set up to work out the details of Niyazov's funeral.

Deputy Prime Minister Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov was named to head the commission. In Soviet times, this person often became the successor, but it was not clear if this precedent would be followed in Turkmenistan.

Opposition sources said Berdymukhamedov was a relative of Niyazov, though this has never been acknowledged officially.

Niyazov tolerated no dissent and enjoyed a flourishing personality cult with thousands of portraits and statues of him throughout the country.

His name has been given to a sea port, farms, military units and even to a meteorite.

A Reuters correspondent in the Turkmen capital said the situation was calm but workers were seen removing New Year decorations from fir trees in the streets.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Turkmenistan's President-for-life Saparmurat Niyazov had died

at least this guy knows term limits, something the North Koreans still haven't figured out.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

What a shame.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

?
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He was a constant source of ridiculous eyebrow-raising hilarious decisions and much suffering to his people.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I actually read 1/4 of his book. That dude was for real!
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

You'll forgive me for valuing the opportunity for his subjects to perhaps breathe a little more freely higher than my amusement at his antics.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, maybe the people of Turkmenistan can move on to real cult-of-personalities, like Vladimir Putin or George W. Bush or Dr. Phil.

Comment

You'll forgive me for valuing the opportunity for his subjects to perhaps breathe a little more freely higher than my amusement at his antics.

what are you, some sort of commie?
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

In Soviet Turkmenistan gold statue builds you!
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Seriously, why is it that so many national leaders are quite literally bat**** insane?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Power corrupts.
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

You know the expression: "Absolute power... is f*cking AWESOME!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X