Houston vs Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston vs Dallas

Looks like I'll be moving from Indianapolis to either Houston or Dallas this summer due to my wife getting a job.

I've never been to either, which is better?

2 income family (lawyer and college professor both in mid-late 20's)
    no kids
    Her salary is basically the same in either place, my salary probably would be as well, I'm pretty easily employed once I take/pass the Texas Bar.

Cowboys vs Texans-Cowboys (annoying as the fans might be)
    Astros v Rangers - Astros (at least for watching my cardinals)
    Mavs v rockets- Mavs
    Stars v ___ - _____

Well? I know people from both places post here....

Houston is bigger, more crime, more humidity.
    Big on shipping related.
    I have family there.

Dallas is restaurants and clubs.
    A banking mecca.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yeah, I'm liking Houston for the crime rate.
      Not so much the humidity/weather/hurricanes

Comment

Skip both and move to Austin. I recently moved to Houston, and I regret it every day.

Dallas is restaurants and clubs.
        Clubs probably, but restaurants? Say what you will about Houston, but we're one of the best cities around for food.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Stars v ___ - _____
          Aeros
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Where in Houston would your wife's job be?
            -Bokonon

Comment

Proximity to Austin is a huge plus for Houston, can't wait to go to SXSW and Austin City Limits.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                Yeah, I'm liking Houston for the crime rate.
                Perpetual employment.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                  Where in Houston would your wife's job be?
                  UHouston (whatever the main school is called)

Comment

Hey Dallas has crime, too.

And sorry, Ramo. Dallas kicks Houston's ass on restaurants.

What I'm having trouble finding is a good Blues club, in an area where I won't have to deal with my first point.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Perpetual employment.
                      Yup. No danger in downsizing or getting shipped overseas to a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, esp in Houston post-Katrina

Comment

Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Austin is the more liberal. Figure that one out, being the capitol.
                          San Antonio is a nice tourist town. Supported in large part by that and the Air Force bases.

Dallas is more than Dallas. It's also Ft. Worth, which has a lot of historical culture. Stockyards and that; as well as a good zoo and nice museums. Amon Carter is what I like. The Amon Carter Music Hall is compared to Madison Square Garden for it's acoutics.

If you choose Houston, look at Tomball and Spring. That area.

If you choose Dallas, look at Richardson or Plano to the north; and Arlington, located between Dallas and Ft. Worth as a 3rd choice.
                          Although you might want to check Dallas itself, Park Cities area. Downtown is revializing with lofts.

Comment

I heard Dallas is a really boring town.

That's all I've heard.

I'd probably chose it over Houston though, cuz of the hockey team
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Greenville Avenue, the West End, and Deep Ellum is where most of the clubs are, as well as downtown.

Comment

Working...
                              X