Well, I did it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I did it.

Last week I earned a High Pass from my final, written comprehensive exam at Eastern Illinois University.

Earlier today (Dec. 8, Friday), I passed my oral thesis defense. At the end of my defense, they congratulated me, said they were impressed with the breadth of my research, and the fact that my overall argument is solid with one or two minor flaws (any complete work will always be incomplete in the eyes of one critic or another no matter how much revision one does).

They then told me that I have one final round of basic editting to do before the university library binds it and publishes it and they told me that this is a routine request that they ask of nearly all students after they complete their oral defense.

So, I will be at the commencement ceremony on Saturday, Dec. 16 and will have then earned my Masters in U.S. History.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Congrats

You know where you're going next?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Congrats

You know where you're going next?

My ideal career goal is to become a full-time instructor at a community college somewhere in United States. Yes, I'm willing to relocate given the high level of competition and the limited number of History department positions that are actually open.

I have already applied at community colleges in states such as Texas, Oregon, New Jersey, New York, Arizona, and Maryland. I have more to apply at -- I'm just going to keep at it.

In meantime, since these are all positions that are not starting until the fall semester of 2007, I need to find a better paying job than I have now and then kiss Super Target goodbye.

Comment

MrFun in Texas
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

You in Charleston I assume?

Comment

Congrats.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You in Charleston I assume?

No -- I was done with classes in Dec. 2004 and so I moved back home (East Moline, Illinois) at that time. Since then, I have been working on my thesis here, off-campus and traveling to the Lincoln Presidential Library for my primary sources.

So I have not been living in Charleston, Illinois since Dec. 2004.

Comment

Wow, that's quite a distance away... co-worker of mine wants to move to Dubuque someday (not sure why, but ... there it is). Nice country out there.

I assume you won't be moving to Chicago to teach at one of our dozens of community colleges, in need of good teachers...

Comment

Wow, that's quite a distance away... co-worker of mine wants to move to Dubuque someday (not sure why, but ... there it is). Nice country out there.

I assume you won't be moving to Chicago to teach at one of our dozens of community colleges, in need of good teachers...
                    I have been using higheredjobs.com and chronicle.com for information about current History department positions that are open. So far, the past month or so, Chicago community colleges have not shown up.

Can you provide any links to community college websites that you know have such openings?

Oh, as for Dubuque -- I grew up in a rural town 25 miles of Dubuque so I'm very familiar with that conservative, Catholic city. Grateful I have not lived there as an adult.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Congrats.

thanks, man

Comment

What does it mean?
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Hearty congrats, MrFun, and good luck with the job hunt!
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

What was your thesis on?

Comment

What does he do now, history teacher?
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X