Senate Report: Gore Lies, Media Biased, Advocates Misrepresent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ned
    Because they say there is no debate when there is one.
    Well, unsurprisingly, you're exactly wrong.

Politicians debate it all the time -- hence reports like these.

The mainstream media, similarly, cooperates by constantly treating global warming as a "controversy" and dutifully reporting "both sides" of the issue.

It's certainly a pet netizen debate topic, and I imagine it's debated in barrooms and at socil gatherings across the land.

The only ones not debating it are scientists themselves -- because the scientific community is overwhelmingly, if not unanimously, on the same page on this one.

In short -- no one says there's no debate when there is none. If anything, "they" (politicos, pundits, media) say there is a debate when there is none, at least among people qualified to debate it.

Come to think of it, what this reminds me of almost exactly is America's sad, sorry relationship with evolution. Politicians turn it into a debate, the media turns it into a controversy, but scientists just shrug and move on, in spite of the few crackpots in their ranks who aren't on board.
    Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; December 8, 2006, 19:19.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

No offense, but global warming is a pretty well proved fact. If nothing else, then the speed of greenland glaciers is a very serious proof. The helheim glacier is a good proof of this - currently it's moving at a speed of one meter an hour wich is way more than some five ears ago.

Btw. helheim means something like realm of death.
      Global Warming hypothesis is that we are the primary cause of global warming. A often held collorary is that if we don't do something about it, we are doomed.

The second point is garbage, I have seen nothing scientific to suggest this.

The first is the best current theory. Considering the complexity of the system, not at all proven I feel.

jM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Not in the UK.

The mainstream media, similarly, cooperates by constantly treating global warming as a "controversy" and dutifully reporting "both sides" of the issue.
        I have only ever seen one newspaper give a balanced viewpoint in the UK. Scare-story-realism doesn't sell.

It's certainly a pet netizen debate topic, and I imagine it's debated in barrooms and at socil gatherings across the land.
        I've never heard anyone talk about climate change "in real life".

The only ones not debating it are scientists themselves -- because the scientific community is overwhelmingly, if not unanimously, on the same page on this one.
        i) if that were true it would be disgraceful given the massive uncertainties surrounding the infant science and its purported social importance.

ii) fortunately, it isn't true

In short -- no one says there's no debate when there is none. If anything, "they" (politicos, pundits, media) say there is a debate when there is none, at least among people qualified to debate it.
        Last edited by Solly; December 8, 2006, 19:31.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Yeah, and those politicians that do it is called "well known oil industry hack" etc.

PLEASE !! give links to those meadias. I would really like to read comments from unbiased medias on this subject.

Come to think of it, what this reminds me of almost exactly is America's sad, sorry relationship with evolution. Politicians turn it into a debate, the media turns it into a controversy, but scientists just shrug and move on, in spite of the few crackpots in their ranks who aren't on board.

This is pure BS - there are lots of scientists that disagree. Come to think about it, the denial of discussing the facts reminds me of the ID'ers denial of accepting the scientific facts of evolution.
          Last edited by BlackCat; December 8, 2006, 19:55.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
            James Inhofe (the guy who wrote the report) is the epitomy of the politicization of science, and is quite possibly the dumbest Senator in the country. He's the guy who, during the gay marriage debate, put up a chart of his family, bragging about the lack of homosexuality within it.
            Do you have a link? Irrelevant or not, that sounds pretty damned funny.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"This is pure BS - there are lots of scientists that disagree."

- you probably won't find them at the censored unreal climate though, the website of Michael Mann and the scientifically bankrupt hockey-stick.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

and I imagine it's debated in barrooms and at socil gatherings across the land.

KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Global Warming hypothesis is that we are the primary cause of global warming. A often held collorary is that if we don't do something about it, we are doomed.

The second point is garbage, I have seen nothing scientific to suggest this.

The first is the best current theory. Considering the complexity of the system, not at all proven I feel.

jM
                  No objections, it is still a valid theory that human actions are the cause, but it isn't proved and there are alternative theories.

I may have checked this current Argentinian red wine too deeply, but I can't really figure out what you mean with "The second point is garbage" ?

If it's about the helheim glacier, I might have been a bit premature since it was a comment from a danish publication about a reseach that just have fininshed but not yet published,.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                    "This is pure BS - there are lots of scientists that disagree."

- you probably won't find them at the censored unreal climate though, the website of Michael Mann and the scientifically bankrupt hockey-stick.
                    WHAT !!! Are you saying that scientists isn't unbiased ?????

Steven Weinberg

Comment

No objections, it is still a valid theory that human actions are the cause, but it isn't proved and there are alternative theories.

I may have checked this current Argentinian red wine too deeply, but I can't really figure out what you mean with "The second point is garbage" ?

If it's about the helheim glacier, I might have been a bit premature since it was a comment from a danish publication about a reseach that just have fininshed but not yet published,.
                      How in the world does a glacier melting mean that we are doomed, much less the planet?

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

How in the world does a glacier melting mean that we are doomed, much less the planet?

JM
                        Ouch. I think that we have misunderstood each other somewhere in this thread.

The glacier mentioned is a pretty good measurement of the fact that climate IS changing.

There has been an upwards moving rise in melting of greenland ice.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Do you have a link? Irrelevant or not, that sounds pretty damned funny.
                          Homosexuality

On June 6, 2006, in a speech on the Senate floor about the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment, Inhofe said, pointing at a large photograph of his family:

... my wife and I have been married 47 years. We have 20 kids and grandkids. I'm really proud to say that in the recorded history of our family, we've never had a divorce or any kind of homosexual relationship."[17]

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The glacier mentioned is a pretty good measurement of the fact that climate IS changing.
                            Does it mean the climate is changing at a rate that is not within natural variation?
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Holy crap, what a goofball! Dominionist, too. Thanks, Rufus.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Warming climate: very well understood, I think.
                                Man's involvement: much less understood, I think, still the best theory to date. (That we are primarily responsible)
                                That the climate is going to change to **** us all over: Pure speculation.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X