• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Liberal Leader Declares War on Alberta

In so many words.

Dion takes aim at oil industry
    UPDATED: 2006-12-04 02:13:00 MST

New Liberal leader talks about revisiting tax system on first day steering party

By ALAN FINDLAY, NATIONAL BUREAU

MONTREAL -- Stephane Dion stepped straight into the political firestorm of taxing the oilpatch when he met with reporters for the first time as the Liberal Party of Canada's rookie leader.

The former environment minister said yesterday he wants to find a way to make Alberta's oil production more sustainable so it can continue to make "megatonnes of money" in the future.

"If we succeed in Fort McMurray to have sustainable development, we will succeed everywhere in the world," Dion said.

"Certainly it will mean revisiting the tax system, but not to put the money out of Alberta -- to help Alberta save their water, to save their development, to avoid acid rain, to reconcile agriculture and (the) oil industry."

The comments came after Dion pulled off a surprising win over favourites, Michael Ignatieff and Bob Rae.

His candidacy focused heavily on greening up the party's basic tenets of economic prosperity and social justice.

One specific proposal focuses on what is called an accelerated capital cost allowance for oilsands mines.

"In particular, the advantageous tax treatment oil and gas companies receive should be reviewed," his policy states.

"It is no longer clear that this special tax treatment is warranted given the boom in development, massive profits and rising price of all types of fossil fuels."

But Dion was dismissed by one analyst as nothing to worry about.

Peter Linder, who runs the Delta One Energy Fund in Calgary said Dion should not cause alarm in Alberta.

"I think it's much ado about nothing," the analyst said.

"I think this is more ... to garner votes, but most importantly, Harper is still in power the last time we looked."
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Look at that. A Liberal leader pushing a greener agenda (listening to the wishes of central Canada) and attacking the west. Wonder what he has in mind.
    What?

Comment

It is indeed very telling that on the first day of his position he already makes it clear he doesn't care for, nor expect any votes from Alberta.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        It is indeed very telling that on the first day of his position he already makes it clear he doesn't care for, nor expect any votes from Alberta.
        Too bad, he will get precious few votes elsewhere.

If Dion wants to sell himself as 'green' he has his record as Environment Minister to answer for.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yep. Alienate the West, force Harper to defend Alberta's oil production and cater to central Canada's greens. Add to that the fact that he's a Quebecer and a strong federalist. The typical Liberal leader. Dion knows where the votes are and he's going after them.
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
            Yep. Alienate the West, force Harper to defend Alberta's oil production and cater to central Canada's greens. Add to that the fact that he's a Quebecer and a strong federalist. The typical Liberal leader. Dion knows where the votes are and he's going after them.
            It's a shame that instead of working towards the nation's best interests, he's taking the tried-and-true route of holding power by victimizing a single province to the benefit of everyone else.

As mentioned, a Quebecer to the core. Soulless, mean-spirited, and jealous.

Comment

Shall we take bets for how long it takes for him to propose additional taxes on oil companies?

Comment

So... he's not well liked in Quebec, and he's pissing off the west.

This guy is winning votes HOW?

I'm looking forward to seeing what a Harper majority government can do.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

How does Dion gain votes on the environment issue?

I understand the Harper/Ambrose environment show was pretty pathetic but Dion's success on this file is about the same.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    If Dion wants to sell himself as 'green' he has his record as Environment Minister to answer for.
                    He actually got very good notes on the international scene at the Montreal Climate change summit. He was responsible for hammering out a reconduction of Kyoto that "extend the life of the Kyoto Protocol beyond its 2012 expiration date and negotiate deeper cuts in greenhouse-gas emissions."

Besides: the Conservatives are the ones scrapping Canada's commitment to Kyoto. The Liberals only made commitments they had no way of respecting.
                    What?

Comment

Besides: the Conservatives are the ones scrapping Canada's commitment to Kyoto.
                      Thank God.

Comment

He actually got very good notes on the international scene at the Montreal Climate change summit. He was responsible for hammering out a reconduction of Kyoto that "extend the life of the Kyoto Protocol beyond its 2012 expiration date and negotiate deeper cuts in greenhouse-gas emissions."
                        Unfortunately for Dion, they won't get a vote in the next general election.

Besides: the Conservatives are the ones scrapping Canada's commitment to Kyoto. The Liberals only made commitments they had no way of respecting.
                        So promising something and not delivering is better than not promising?

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                          So... he's not well liked in Quebec, and he's pissing off the west.

This guy is winning votes HOW?

I'm looking forward to seeing what a Harper majority government can do.
                          He's winning the federalist vote in Quebec by being a Quebecer, green and not conservative.
                          He's winning the Ontario vote by being a strong federalist, and a Quebecer that will keep Quebec in check (if you don't believe that that can work i will refer you to a guy named Chretien and one named Trudeau) and giving them hope of a majority government that they will control: not some Calgary hick who backed out of Kyoto and doesn't want same sex marriage.

Adscam is already forgotten: these are the NEW Liberals!

What else does he need?
                          What?

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Unfortunately for Dion, they won't get a vote in the next general election.
                            True. But you can bet he'll milk this.

So promising something and not delivering is better than not promising?
                            It's better than backing out of your commitments on the international scene when you pride yourself on being a green country. That's another one he's going to milk: Harper is hurting our image abroad.
                            What?

Comment

It's better than backing out of your commitments on the international scene when you pride yourself on being a green country. That's another one he's going to milk: Harper is hurting our image abroad.
                              Canada is not a green country, we're one of the worst offenders.

Kyoto's already a joke -- who is really abiding by it? Chretien is the one who made the commitment he should've known would be impossible to meet for Canada. His environment minister especially.

Comment

Working...
                              X