Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will be the world's problems in 50 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will be the world's problems in 50 years?

Today, terrorism threatens free people everywhere, they want us dead and are actively working toward that goal. Rogue states are working to aquire nukes and at least one has done so.

50 years ago in "Iron Curtain" had divided europe. Fifty years before that colonialism was rampant and europe was engaged in an arms race that would result in two world wars.

Fairly diverse problems.

Fifty years from now... What are your predictions?

I think the time of the virus will have come and gone,wars and pestulance left huge areas barren and small communitys of survivors will be struggling.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

There will be growing conflict in Europe between the large muslim community, the agnostic/secular plurality and the smaller but influential Christian community. Look for armed struggle in France but a peaceful takeover in Germany.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Aliems
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The impending ice-age caused by human-caused CO2 emissions(the 70's doomsayers will be "proven" correct). A geriatric Al Gore will claim he knew it first.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

no, Al Gore INVENTED the Ice Age.

Seriously, he'd be getting razzed way more than Bush if he were in office.
          First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
          Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Gore the Bore.

Cats will be running the show in 50 years.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              I think when a giant asteroid wipes out us humans like it happened once to the dinosaurs the next species to rule the planet will either be frogs or bananas.
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                There will be growing conflict in Europe between the large muslim community, the agnostic/secular plurality and the smaller but influential Christian community. Look for armed struggle in France but a peaceful takeover in Germany.
                Europe has a small Muslim community.

70 years ago, it was widely believed that Catholics were taking over Protestant nations by birth, marriage and immigration. Oddly enough, this hasn't happened.

Comment

You would think that, you Heresson/Shiva convert.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The biggest problem will be the fallout on Apolyton after it's decided that OT posts really shouldn't have given +1s and postcounts are reduced retroactively..
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Water

... and Lancer coming back to 'poly.
                      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Meerkats will be running the show in 50 years.
                        fixed
                        I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

50 years from now; my predictions:

America will have declined so much that few will wonder if they were ever a major power. The religious fanatics will continue to block scientific advances and ruin the education of children and as a result Americans are among the worst educated people in the former west.

France celibrates Islam Day or the day that the majority of the population became muslim. Islamic militants practically run the country.

There is no longer an Israel. The Jews don't breed fast enough while the Arabs never stop breeding and as a result the Arabs become the majority and vote to have the country annex by Palistine.

India is wondering how to feed it's 2.5 billion people; an increase of 250% in just 50 years.

China went democratic about 10 years ago but immediately their became major problems. All the various ethnic, linguistic, and cultural groups started to demand autonomy and when the central government bulked they pushed for independence. There are now a half dozen states where the unified multiethnic empire used to be.

Europe is more united but still not reformed so that they are little better then a gaggle where each state has a veto. There doesn't appear to be any means to fix the whole mess.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

So...you're predicting no change?

Comment

I agree with many of the posters that the U.S. will be in decline. During the last 50 years, it's dropped from having the highest standard of living in the world to being No. 8. The increasing trade imbalance, national debt, state debt, and consumer debt will combine to send the U.S. into a rapid state of economic decline. We're giving up our freedoms at a rate I never thought possible.

And in the face of this decline, the U.S. will have to abandon its position as being No. 1 in armed forces and in the space race.

So, instead of a unicentric-powered world, we will have multiple centers of power: EU, US, China, India, Japan, some kind of South American union (with Brazil, or if no Brazil, then Brazil will be another power), Australia and New Zealand may head up some kind of SE Asian block including Singapore, Korea, and if it is still independent Taiwan.

Russia is devolving into an authoritarian kleptocracy and probably won't come back. I doubt if the Arabs will ever get united...they haven't been since Baghdad fell to the Mongols. Africa will continue to wallow in poverty.
                              Last edited by Zkribbler; December 3, 2006, 14:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X