The Big Bang time paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    If you can maintain a consistent set of coordinates for a given range then you are not required to "stop time" at any point in that range.
    Yes. So? I have certainly never stopped time at any time.

Running time backwards the Universe collapsed to an actual point (rather than simply being very small) then you would be required to do something like that. Your coordinate system would have collapsed along with the Universe. Time would be required to have a starting point.
    An actual point? Are you just being silly here? We are talking physics, not mathematics. There are no 'actual points'.

Are you even aware what a physical singularity is? It's not a infinitessimal point of infinite density. Yes, that is what General Relativity tells us it is. But that does not mean that this is so, it means that GR can not be applied to that situation.

Perhaps a singularity is really infinitessimal. Or perhaps it's turtle-shaped. We don't know. We can't describe it. That's the whole point.

Comment

• This guy pisses me off. He takes forever to respond to everything. Type quicker!
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Diadem
        An actual point? Are you just being silly here? We are talking physics, not mathematics. There are no 'actual points'.

Are you even aware what a physical singularity is? It's not a infinitessimal point of infinite density. Yes, that is what General Relativity tells us it is. But that does not mean that this is so, it means that GR can not be applied to that situation.

Perhaps a singularity is really infinitessimal. Or perhaps it's turtle-shaped. We don't know. We can't describe it. That's the whole point.
        I never said that all singularities were mathematical points. I said that in order to cause a coordinate catastrophe our Universe would have to collapse to a point. This is because we're already living inside our own Schwarzschild radius. It has to come meet us at the origin in order to cause problems. No timelike paths ever cross the boundary into a singularity (other than local singularities) otherwise. The Universe outside the event horizons of these local singularities remains a connected domain.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Anyway, bedtime. So one final post.

Mr. Krazyhorse, you, I regret to say, are a despicable person. Words such as respect and honesty simply do not seem to exist in your universe.

I do not care that you are a professional physicist. I do not care how good you are. You are a disgrace to the physics community, in the way you arrogantly insult layman who are asking simple, honest questions. You obviously know a lot about physics. But instead of sharing this knowledge, you use it as a punchline.

You're not interested in truth, just in winning the argument. Which is a quality that totally discredits you as a scientist.

Ok, enough flaming. Time to reveal the real joke.

Which is, of course, that you are right. Oh, not about what started this argument. You were clearly talking out of your arse then. But you're right about the singularity issue. Since I was trying to post at a level understandable for layman, I was rather sloppy in my wording. So I used the word singularity in the informal meaning of the word.

You then attacked me over this, in such an arrogant and stupid fashion that it seemed fun to annoy you a bit over it. I fear that if you can not even see the difference the usage of a term in the strictest physical meaning or a more loose inituitive meaning, the joke is on you.

Either way, this joke has continued long enough. So let's stop it.

Congratulations on winning this argument. Ah, but remember what they say about people who argue on the internet...

Oh and by the way: I'm not even a physicist. At least not yet. Still a student

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Anyway, bedtime. So one final post.

Mr. Krazyhorse, you, I regret to say, are a despicable person. Words such as respect and honesty simply do not seem to exist in your universe.

I do not care that you are a professional physicist. I do not care how good you are. You are a disgrace to the physics community, in the way you arrogantly insult layman who are asking simple, honest questions. You obviously know a lot about physics. But instead of sharing this knowledge, you use it as a punchline.

You're not interested in truth, just in winning the argument. Which is a quality that totally discredits you as a scientist.

The exact opposite, my boy. I "lose" a lot of "arguments" in my work. I deal every day with people who are either smarter than me or who know more than me. Every time they show me I'm wrong they teach me something. The only reason I know anything is because I've been wrong so often. I'm happy when it happens.

My secret is that I only make a mistake once.

Oh and by the way: I'm not even a physicist. At least not yet. Still a student

I figured that. You know the concepts but you still make blatant mistakes in applying them. Next time be less afraid to admit when you've made one and the learning process will go quicker.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've never seen that picture before. That's really funny.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• You are still missing the point.

The point is not that you know more about physics than me. That was never in doubt.

The point is that your very first words in this topic were a flame, or at least a troll. And you've acted like an arrogant bastard ever since, flaming and trolling left and right. You were too full of yourself to even read carefully what people said. Arguing physics where we were talking philosophy, attacking on the exact definitions of words when the person was clearly using sloppy language, etc. In your own words: you consider this a war, instead of just a normal fun discussion.

I just gave you a taste of your own medicine. The problem is that i'm rather better at it than you. If you flame all the time those flames loose their meaning. Whereas I only flame once every few years. It's rather an honor to get flamed by me.

You got owned. Sorry

Comment

• The point is that your very first words in this topic were a flame, or at least a troll.

Welcome to the OT.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Anyway this time I'm off to bed for real ...

Comment

• I just gave you a taste of your own medicine. The problem is that i'm rather better at it than you.

Don't think so, kid.

You had to revert to the "why are you so mean" defence.

One day you'll be able to stand on your own two feet instead of begging for mercy.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I give this thread Infinity out of a possible Infinity + 1 and declar KrazyHorse to have pwned himself with arogance.

Now on to the speculative philisophical masturbation!
                          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• I showed my wife this thread. She laughed her head off before slapping me for being such an *******.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                              Now on to the speculative philisophical masturbation!
                              i don't even what to know how that works...

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                                I showed my wife this thread. She laughed her head off before slapping me for being such an *******.

You deserved that ...

Now explain what "m^2/kg^2" means in the context of the gravitation constant, and why it's not just a convenient constant the physics lobby created to satisfy its customers.
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X