The Big Bang time paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Bang time paradox

It is postulated that time did not exist before the big bang.

The problem arises - if time did not exist, neither did change. If change did not exist, then the Bid Bang should never have happened at all - everything should have stayed static. Why didn't that happen? Or is our premise itself wrong - time did, in fact, exist before the Big Bang, therefore making the initial state something of a transient one?

Any answer?

I'm not a big proponent of the nothing happened before the big bang.

I've heard theories that the universe collapses upon itself and then another big bang occurs in a repeating cycle.

Comment

Dis: Sure, and then it's turtles all the way down.
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
        Dis: Sure, and then it's turtles all the way down.
        How do you address the paradox, then?

Comment

My understanding is that Time and Space are properties of the Universe and have meaning only within it. "Before" the Big Bang is as meaningless as "Outside the Universe" (in a spatial sense). When you ask "why dosn't it just stay the same" Your giving the "Nothing" a reality it dose not have, it is pure unadulteraded non-existence devoid of all concivable properties and atributes. Only something which exists can be said to be static OR changing, for example a non existent dog is neither on fire nor is it not on fire. Thus the absense of time dose not imply a kind of never-ending stasis which the Universe "breaks" at the Big-Bang. Dose this help?
          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Time is a name given to a concept that exists within the Universe. Speaking about time (and all things that go with it such as change) outside of the Universe is a pointless exercise.

No paradox.
            LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

"Time is an abstract concept invented by organic beings to measure their own decay!"

-Thunderklees, the Brak Show.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Re: The Big Bang time paradox

Originally posted by aneeshm
                It is postulated that time did not exist before the big bang.
                Do you have any links to this postulate ?
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The opening post (along with many of the following posts) demonstrates fundamental ignorance of contemporary cosmological models.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I love watching people who either lack the motivation or the intellect to actually learn physics try to poke holes in theories created by their betters.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      The opening post (along with many of the following posts) demonstrates fundamental ignorance of contemporary cosmological models.
                      Impaler got it basically correct though didn't he? I'm not aware of any way our current understanding of physics would contradict him and I'd be genuinely interested in learning how it does if that is the case.

Comment

Nah, what is funny is that aneeshm thinks that he has found a problem that those behind the "big bang" theory hasn't considered, or for that matter, that he belives in what someone who has misinterpreted the theory says
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Time only exists to stop everything happening at once.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Impaler got it basically correct though didn't he?
                            Not particularly...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Do tell us, oh mighty one... gifted with the ability to stay awake in class!

What is the right answer?

Comment

Working...
                              X