No announcement yet.

Rumsfeld okayed abuses says former US army general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The methods consisted of making prisoners stand for long periods, sleep deprivation ... playing music at full volume, having to sit in uncomfortably ... Rumsfeld authorised these specific techniques."

Unless I am mistaken (and very well could be) wasn't it Oerdin who defended these very same practices around the time of Abu Ghraib claiming they were not indeed torture?

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Yup he did. But you'll notice his posts talk of abuse.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Agreed to an extent. Truth be told his inital title refers to abuse and his first response back refers to abuse namely:

I could see how some people would attack her since she was commanding at the time the abuses were exposed so it is possible she has a vested interest in accusing Rumsfield, however, what she says is still very interesting.
        after that however he quotes the article

The Geneva Convention says prisoners of war should suffer "no physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion" to secure information.

"Prisoners of war who refuse to answer may not be threatened, insulted, or exposed to any unpleasant or disadvantageous treatment of any kind," the document states.
        Implicit in this response is that these so called "abuses" constitute a breach of Geneva Conventions re: torture of captives. I don't see how else to read it save that he now implies these practices as torture where before he did not.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Unless I am mistaken (and very well could be) wasn't it Oerdin who defended these very same practices around the time of Abu Ghraib claiming they were not indeed torture?
          I said the abuses at Abu Ghraib were torture but I questioned whither or not these other things were torture. We know have a lot more information about the scope of the activities so it is now clear it wasn't just some minor stuff.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Originally posted by Darius871
            Because he jumped the shark months ago.
            QFT. Good to see Ned back, though
            Ned
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
            X