No announcement yet.

When the hell will the Yanks learn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substance? I certainly have more substance that a Canadian attempting to brag.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• No-one commented that my picture of Halifax was a picture of the original, and not the Canadian cover-version.

Comment

• I was about to post something nasty about these soldiers not being able to keep peace in Halifax and then expecting them to do it in Baghdad, but then I read the updated story.

Now they're calling this guy a "good samaritan". Apparently he was breaking up a fight, not starting it, and got jabbed in the process. Oh well.

Comment

• I wonder if Krazy's still happy that he got killed...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The link doesn't seem to work for me. Another article on the stabbing...

Monday, November 6, 2006

'Good Samaritan' died helping local

By Stéphane Massinon
            The Daily News

HALIFAX - Two years ago, Cory Wright went before a Nova Scotia Supreme Court judge pledging to turn his life around after stabbing two people.

Today, he will appear in court charged with first-degree murder in the death of a U.S. Navy sailor.

Wright, 23, of Halifax, was one of six people arrested outside the downtown Halifax nightclub Rain early Saturday after an American sailor was stabbed to death while trying to break up a fight.

"It appears as though it was a disturbance unrelated to the American sailors, where a local individual was being beaten," Halifax Regional Police spokeswoman Theresa Brien said yesterday. "These American sailors attempted to intervene as Good Samaritans."

Hull Technician 1st Class Damon Austin Crooks, 28, of West Palm Beach, Fla., died later in hospital. Another American sailor was stabbed in the foot, and treated in hospital.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to victim's family, and in particular, to his crew members," said Brien.

In April 2002, Wright attacked barber Matthew Barton, stabbing him first in the back of the head, then the back of his neck, and then again while he was on the ground. In all, Barton suffered 14 stab wounds.

Barton's girlfriend, Ghazala Ali, was stabbed in the shoulder as she tried to intervene.

Little motive

Barton had just closed up his Gottingen Street barber shop shortly after 2 a.m. following a party when Wright lunged at him.

Wright was a guest at Barton's party, and did not leave until Barton had asked him twice. Otherwise, there appeared to be no motive for the attack, the court heard.

In February 2004, Wright was told he would serve 15 months behind bars. He had already spent 26 months in pretrial custody. The Crown had sought a 12-year prison sentence.

Also charged in connection with Saturday's stabbing is a 24-year-old man, who faces an assault charge, and a 22-year-old man, who is charged with obstruction.

Both men are from Dartmouth, and will appear in court Dec. 14.

A fourth person was held on a parole violation. Two other people arrested were released without charge.

Wright allegedly fled from police shortly after the stabbing when they stopped the car he was in. Another man from the car tried to block pursuing police officers. In the end, a police dog ran down the fleeing suspect.

The victim was serving aboard the USS Doyle, one of two U.S. warships in Halifax to take part in an amphibious exercise with the Canadian Forces. U.S. Navy Cmdr. Herman Phillips said yesterday the exercises will go ahead.

Safe port?

Sailors around town last night said they were told not to speak to reporters.
            One, who didn't want his name used, said he's never considered Halifax a dangerous port.

Halifax police were in contact with the U.S. Navy Criminal Investigative Service, Brien said.

Though they've spoken with some of the many people who were at the scene of the killing, she said police believe there are witnesses who have yet to come forward.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              I wonder if Krazy's still happy that he got killed...
              Just so you and everybody else knows, I was never happy he got killed.

I have many American friends (many more, I'm sure, than you have Canadian friends), and if you include the people on this board I have at least one or two friends who are or were members of the American military.

I am also a relentless troll, and will not apologise for that.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                I wonder if Krazy's still happy that he got killed...
                Just goes to show you what sticking your nose in other peoples' business gets you.

You guys seem to have trouble learning that lesson.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I am also a relentless troll, and will not apologise for that.
                  That's a pretty lame non-apology apology.

A real troll wouldn't try to justify his posts.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Coming from someone punk enough to run his mouth about good samaritans, it's not surprising.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

That's a pretty lame non-apology apology.

A real troll wouldn't try to justify his posts.
                      My posts have no justification, Dan. Somebody who engages in similar tactics to myself should know that.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Just goes to show you what sticking your nose in other peoples' business gets you.

Agreed. Our compulsion to travel to backward foreign countries and try to solve their problems for them does get us into trouble...

I have many American friends (many more, I'm sure, than you have Canadian friends)

I would hope so, given that you live in America. I have a pretty fair amount of Canuck friends for someone who has a spent a grand total of ~3 days in the frozen North, though...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Given the sad state of affairs in the US today, you'd think that you would spend a lot more time trying to fix your own problems.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Dan: from the first page

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            I feel like I'm channeling AH in this thread.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• If the state of affairs in the US is so bad, why are you here sucking on our teat?
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I would hope so, given that you live in America. I have a pretty fair amount of Canuck friends for someone who has a spent a grand total of ~3 days in the frozen North, though...
                                We're a friendly people. Then we knife you.

That's just how we roll.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X