Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva

I think you're wrong on this one.

(though, we both agree that I'd have not done well for myself had I added a wink at the end of that last sentence)
    The hmm smilie is good is better left used in serious debates, when you desire to emphasize how ludicrous your opponent's arguments are. In jokey situations they radiate seriousness, which isn't desirable.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
      In jokey situations they radiate seriousness, which isn't desirable.
      Not necessarily; sometimes the joke can be heightened by the pretense of seriousness that it lends, especially when it's evident that it is just a pretense.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by elle
        *Smiles and nods and backs away slowly*
        I'm telling you. This would have been better with a .
        Elle's site

Comment

Well that depends on whether it is a joke of seriousness or a joke of nondisclosure, if it is the latter that predates the former then it could be considered funny but out of context it is awful.
          "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Or... maybe a .
            Elle's site

Comment

Smilie-less is sufficient to attain the effect of faux-seriousness, which is exactly why I strongly recommend not to use the wink smilie.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Can't you people bloody wait with those posts of yours until I've finished mine?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                  Well that depends on whether it is a joke of seriousness or a joke of nondisclosure, if it is the latter that predates the former then it could be considered funny but out of context it is awful.
                  When it's x-posted, too
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

When it's x-posted, too
                    Elle's site

Comment

Smilie-less is sufficient to attain the effect of faux-seriousness, which is exactly why I strongly recommend not to use the wink smilie.
                      No, but that's exactly the point; it's role is one of meta-faux-seriousness.

Comment

The angry, sad and doitnow smilies are acceptable in any circumstance. Especially when it does not make sense. That's another free tip you folks are getting.

Comment

The angry, sad and doitnow smilies are acceptable in any circumstance.
                          That's true; so is the nod (Heresson is a master of that one)

Comment

Are you certain that that is the best advice to be giving Colon?

Comment

That's another free tip you folks are getting.
                              Thank God I stopped in tonight.
                              Elle's site

Comment

For Example:

My aunt just died.

Someone's Reply

Comment

Working...
                                X