Whoops! US posts Iraqi nuke docs on web, may have helped Iran build bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    Okay ... anyone who can't figure out the 'how' of building an atomic bomb is a complete AND total moron. (Well, anyone with the right sort of physics degree anyway). The difficulty is obtaining the plutonium etc., not in the ''how'. Unless you want a BIG atomic bomb, which is different; but for Iran, size doesn't matter. A Big Boy or three is more than enough for them ...
    Oh, really?

Yeah, cause the US only spent 2 billion dolars 1944 dollars trying to figure it out, and only 9 states have actually build them- yup, very easy. You know, just how to make the reflective explosive lenses necessary to create the implosion...

No, the difficulty is not just obtaining fissionable materials. That is the most time consuming task yes, but building a nuclear weapon is still a diffciult thing. It astounds me that people here are belittling the sheer idiocy of this website.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
      Yep you read it correctly. All that being said timers and schematics for initiating the nuclear reaction are the black magic in bulding the bomb. Not so smart.

But it is interesitng that NYT in an effort to smear, in one fell swoop, undid years of Bush lied mantra saying that Iraq was in essence much closer to nuclear capability than they would previously admit.

Ouch thats gotta sting have a dagger in your back like that Mr. Wilson.
      Just how ****ing clueless are you people!?

In 1991 Saddam was almost at the cusp of building a bomb (which should say much about just how effective military attacks against nuclear facilities are..ie. Osirik). Anyone who ever took the time to actually learn anything would know that this program, whcih was secret, was dismantled by the sanctions regime.

Let me guess Ogie, all the WMD's were taken by aliens into Syria on flying monkeys, RIGHT!??!?

In fact, it was clueless people desperate to undue the rightfully earned scorn of Bush's WMD claims that pushed for this type of information to be placed on line, so the other tin foil morons could "comb" through it and "find" how Iraq was developing WMD's like Bush said.

Again, the ignorance just amazes me to no end.

Lets use a really simple example. South Africa actually had nukes in the 1980's. Does that mean they have an active nuclear weapons research program today? BY Ogie's "logic" (is it even worthy of that name?) the answer would be yes. HOw many can spot the logical grand canyons in that line of thought?
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No, GePap, it means that all Saddam had to do to preserve his nuke program was to keep the paperwork circulating in limbo, just out of Blix's sight. Which he did.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Also, the apartheid regime knew the curtain was falling and didn't want nukes in the hands of the blacks, so they dismantled their facilities and programs.
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The OP article is retarded, no offense to Ixnay. The complete plans on how to build a nuclear bomb have been available in any good public library since the mid-1950's.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
              No, GePap, it means that all Saddam had to do to preserve his nuke program was to keep the paperwork circulating in limbo, just out of Blix's sight. Which he did.
              The knowledge was never going to disappear. Everyone knew that. Hence the need to keep Iraq from having the things it needed to make a bomb. No one denied that they might have plans lying around someplace. In any event, this hardly justifies killing a million and a half Iraqis over 16 years.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

In 1991 Saddam was almost at the cusp of building a bomb (which should say much about just how effective military attacks against nuclear facilities are..ie. Osirik). Anyone who ever took the time to actually learn anything would know that this program, whcih was secret, was dismantled by the sanctions regime.

Let me guess Ogie, all the WMD's were taken by aliens into Syria on flying monkeys, RIGHT!??!?

In fact, it was clueless people desperate to undue the rightfully earned scorn of Bush's WMD claims that pushed for this type of information to be placed on line, so the other tin foil morons could "comb" through it and "find" how Iraq was developing WMD's like Bush said.

Again, the ignorance just amazes me to no end.

Lets use a really simple example. South Africa actually had nukes in the 1980's. Does that mean they have an active nuclear weapons research program today? BY Ogie's "logic" (is it even worthy of that name?) the answer would be yes. HOw many can spot the logical grand canyons in that line of thought?

Ouch struck a nerve did we? Did poor widdle Gepap panties get all bunched up? Ogie has apparently been saying a lot of things according to poor temper tantrum throwing Gepap.

Now take a breath count backwards from 10 and reflect on what I said and what the NYT's said.

Ogie Said NYT's indicated that Saddaam was "as little as a year away" of having an atom bomb. Point being first and foremost in order to sensationalize the story they decided to re-emphasize just how dangerous and close to WMD's Sadaam was or could have been.

Ogie never mentioned what WMD capabilities Sadaam had (or did not have) and was in fact very circumspect in any claims. I believe I was critical of the admins case against Iraq pre invasion and felt that if no WMD's were found that here would be quote " hell to pay" unquote.

NYT's decided to start the whole Bush lied meme back when they went with the big story about Wilson going to Niger. A story ultimately refuted and ultimately in support of Iraq looking to source yellowcake in Africa. BFD as yellowcake is far from weapons grade U. But it does show intent see below.

Ogie also has stated it means very little that no WMDS were found except for indications of what may or may not have been going on to re-establish nuke programs. The ability to reconsitute chemical weapons(which Ogie does not beleive as WMDS for the record) is a short period of time. Per the Duelfer report within 2 months. Reconsituting bio-weapons progams slightly longer.

The seriousness of complying with UN regs is a matter of speculation. On the one hand supposedly all WMDs were destoryed, on the other remanant shells remained. This should be indicative of how serious was Iraq in complying. Paperwork and manifests were never provided to the satisfaction of Blix and Co. See also interest in aquisistion of additional yellowcake as stockpiles of existing yellowcake were under scrutiny/observation.

Duelfer report makes it clear the intention of Iraq sans any intervention and likely elimination of WMD oversight. Resumption of WMD programs in earnest.

Yes Sadaam was on the cusp in 91. All he needed was weapons grade materiel. Gee... North Korea has plenty but don't have a clue how to time the primaries. Given W had singled out those two regimes think they might have had a common purpose.

Gepap indulges in extra curricular straw man beating contests when he decides Ogie buys into the conspiracy laden theory WMDS wer hidden or moved. Keep swatting you haven't quite knocked all the stuffing out of that stawman just yet.

Those conspiracy theorists requesting opening the 40,000+ some odd documents were asking for purposes of not only understanding the Iraqi govenements predispostionon WMDs but link to terrorists etc. Shame we should look to see who was talking to who and why? Couldn't be that any of those contacts might be indicative of who knew who and how that might aid in connecting dots in todays insurgent actions. Funny but you have a mountain of evidence your right no one should bother looking into it.

NYT's pwn itself. Which ultimately was the point of my original post. Always worth pointing out that the hack rag is useless.

An entry in the News Summary on Saturday misstated the name of the team that the St. Louis Cardinals defeated to win the World Series. It was the Detroit Tigers, not the Detroit Lions.
                Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; November 6, 2006, 11:25.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

...given that I said the same thing in the first page of this thread, also pointing out that the end of this program was verified way back in 1996, they're exactly that.

Comment

Working...
                  X