No announcement yet.

Today the next 8 years of my life will be decided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is awfully complicated. Why do you want to make this so complex? Simplicity is the beauty of the military, we should go for that.

I say what do we do with 11Bs, CNWRUs and all these rules. Say, what happened to Jarhead or Green Bastard.. or Smelly ones or the Mexicans? WHere's teh whore unit? I'm sorry, entertainment professionals.

Let's get rid of these, people can't remember them and they are way too complex to serve any reasonable purpose.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Hence officers don't have a MOS.
      In the literal sense, no they do not. I guess it's just a matter of symmetrics.

Comment

Doesn't Asher owe you over a bet, Apocalypse?

(hehehehe)
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I love the way you guys are in the army and hoping not to be see, or be anywhere near any combat.

Seems kinda ironic...
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Az
            What is your studied profession again?

If you get your commanders to agree on your transfer, I can ask for you to be interviewed for us.

Chemist. I don't think your alley really has anything to do with my line of work. I did learn a lot about my military profession so far ( you remember what it is, right?)
            You think we don't have chemists?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
              I love the way you guys are in the army and hoping not to be see, or be anywhere near any combat.

Seems kinda ironic...
              Only if someone doesn't know how an army works.

An army is about 80% support personnel and 20% combat related personnel. Out of those 20% not all are direct combatants (infantry / tank operators) and some are sombat support units (artillery, combat intelligence, combat engineering).

Poly has some quality people who would probably do much more good in the support part, than in combat itself, since that requires much more technical skills and stamina.

Comment

Yeah mobius, why don't you go drive a hybrid and eat tofu, join the hippies and take the acid test, can you pass mobius, can you PASS!!!?
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

The only thing Mobius can pass is gas.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                    Jon, normally the Army likes to keep their FA soldiers with their heavy artillery equipment. But with the current situation and the lack of manpower..."creative thinking" is taking place - like sending FA and ADA soldiers without their "heavy" equipment to Iraq just to keep the soldier count up in theatre (Iraq/Afghanistan). Over-all, it's really a sad situation IMHO.
                    No kidding. There are over 10k sailors on the ground in Iraq for yearlong tours under the "Individual Augmentation" plan.We got signals collection guys that are voluntold to go to Iraq to work on collections in-country...and when they get there the local command (usually army, for obvious reasons) goes "Omni Domni yer a M240 gunner on a Humvee. Put that TS/SCI clearance to use guarding 18wheelers."
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

You think we don't have chemists?

I know you do. But so do we - and that doesn't mean a lot. We should meet next week and discuss it more seriously, really.

An army is about 80% support personnel and 20% combat related personnel

don't get me started...
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yes, I know that some of the 80% personnel don't do much and their work is boring if nothing happens...

But I bet that you did some good during the war, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

Seems kinda ironic...
                          Only really Gung Ho military personnel want to see combat.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Only really Gung Ho military personnel want to see combat.

ACK!
                            Well, it does break the monotony of the every-day routine....but even with adding some spice, there is a limit.
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Depends. Those who want to serve their country, as in they feel that it is their duty, but are not in it for the killing, well, there's plenty of jobs in the army for that and they are needed. Some want to learn a skill, some just like the routine. It gives them safety.

For some, it's a job that pays the bills. But there are people who also want to see action. I would say this is perfcetly normal urge for certain people. Some people feel they need to be in the defense actively and go for the tough jobs that might require shooting. But most who would go for special kind of training in terms of combat, they usually expect to use that training in practice. Some of them might be eager to test themselves.

Some want to see how they would do, how they would survive or if they would be able to survive. It would be a mistake to trivialize the motives and personalities of all soldiers. All kinds of people.. including crazy people.

And yes, army needs killers. It might sound rough, but when rough men are needed, they need to pull the trigger when it needs to be pulled. Especially snipers, who see their victim and perhaps their face and eyes even. THey make a cold calculated decision to take that person's life when the order comes in very personal way. But those men are needed too.

There are people with high morals and people with no morals. But it all comes down to the old wisdom that when the rough men are needed, we are glad that we have them, the ones that are killers. Killers for the state. Because if we didn't have them, we would be less secure and overrun. Those men do borderline evil things so that we don't have to, and we pay them to do it.

If we want to get our panties on a twist about it, stop paying taxes. Becase tax payers pay that salary, equipment and training, we are all supporting that action with our money, like it or not. But some of us choose to be thankful for that luxury of being able to stay home while others, rough men, do the job. And they don't ask for much, no fame, no high salaries either. A vacation every now and then, but we have the tendency to take their equipment and say 'if you want good personal equipment, reach into your own pockets'. And many do.. and I'm not talkign about guns, more like boots, vests etc. But then again service is never too easy, that's why it is a service. Let's not forget who they serve.

And if you want to talk about how some wars are wrong wars, well, that's the politicians who make those decisions, not soldiers.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Well stated Pekka!
                                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                                X