Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Delusion part deux

Just an swer to Elok from the now closed thread:

GePap: I've heard you make too many normative judgments to believe that you're so free-and-easy about it. Not that I blame you; even Sartre made ethical statements which are nonsensical in his context, apparently without realizing it.

EDIT: Now I've got more time. What I was trying to say (continuing with GePap here) is that moral judgments of the absolute type are too embedded in us to be shrugged off and rewritten by a feat of understanding, as Nietzsche predicted. It's been what, a century since Nietzsche died? And how many forms of new values have been created which do not follow the absolute-value religious type? I can think of only a few: LaVeyan Satanism, and other ideologies of a similar nature. And perhaps Rand's Objectivism, but I don't know what the hell to make of that.

In terms of myself making normative judgements. I certainy do so. Again, there is a distinction to be made between the physical world which exist outside of and seperate from any human thought, belief, opinion, the world from which our biological nature spring, and the artificial world o meaning human beings created for themselves and act inside of.

Lets think of it as a movie. An actor in a movie has every right to make normative statements about how the movie ought to be, statements which mean something only within the world of the movie. Outside of the movie these normative statements are meaningless and useless. The same is true, I believe, for normative moral judgements. These judgments matter only within the artificial world of meaning human beings have created. They have no use or bearing on the physical world out there. Making a normative statement about the behavior of say animals is nonsensical. They act as they do, saying they ought to act differently is nonsense.

We human beings chose to live within this artificial world of meaning, actors (personas) in this morality play. As a part of this morality play I can chose, and do chose, to make normative statements about how the play should progress, and what can be done to make it better. I don;t though think that these statements are somehow "the Truth" because I accept that they are valid only within this artifical moral play we all inhabit.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Except you can't compare man to another animal.
    Man uses reason and logic beyond any other animal, unless we've found ourselves on the Planet of The Apes.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      Except you can't compare man to another animal.
      Man uses reason and logic beyond any other animal, unless we've found ourselves on the Planet of The Apes.
      It is our sentience that allows us to make up and then inhabit this world of morality we created for ourselves.

The mistake is thinking that world is "real" in the same way the planet or even our bodies are real. It isn't. There is a basis in our social biology, but most of it is purely artifical.

Comment

What, so that's your point? That morality and other abstract concepts are not physical phenomena?

At any rate, it falls apart insofar as an actor is concerned about the quality of his movie for the sake of the impression said movie makes on his audience. Otherwise his concern for the movie, not to mention the time, money and effort invested into making the movie at all, is pointless. Who's watching our movie?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Don't do such a terrible thing as sodomise these two angels; here, you can gang rape my daughters instead.

Luckily for Lot, the crowd was struck down with blindness, his wife was turned into a pillar of salt and he got laid by not one, but BOTH of his daughters!

Old Testament relationships...

Let's not forget, Lot was the one that God saved from Sodom
          atheists and agnostics are created by stories like that

It is our sentience that allows us to make up and then inhabit this world of morality we created for ourselves.

The mistake is thinking that world is "real" in the same way the planet or even our bodies are real. It isn't. There is a basis in our social biology, but most of it is purely artifical.
          Since "morality" is based on a simple premise, do unto others, live and let live, or to each his own, holding onto this morality requires a recognition and rejection of hypocrisy - what is the evolutionary basis for this morality?

Comment

Re: the troll confesses (CortHaus)

Well these threads end up as debates so I do just that - we all do. You leave your feelings at the door when you come into one of these things. I am not generally the kind to go from church to church starting fires
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

wrong thread...ignore this
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Shouldn't this be "Part Deus"?

Cool, 500+ more posts of laughing at religious people!
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  It was long and boring, and your comments added nothing new. What did you expect?
                  In other words, you were unable to respond to it. How ironic that it is the aethiests here who are covering their eyes.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

At any rate, it falls apart insofar as an actor is concerned about the quality of his movie for the sake of the impression said movie makes on his audience. Otherwise his concern for the movie, not to mention the time, money and effort invested into making the movie at all, is pointless. Who's watching our movie?
                    a, way to take an analogy so literally as to kill it.

Care for a better one then, one that can be taken literally as still work? Fine:

Replace actor with player, and movie with game. A player is involved in the game itself, and if the player wants new rules, he asks for rules based on what he believes would make the best game, a game he himself plays. Yet a game it remains, and it can be changed at any time, simply by changing the rules.

Morality has a very basic basis in our human biology (that of a large social animal), but above that, its is a pure contruct of the mind. It has not basis in "truth" because the universe has no such thing. Being mostly artificial, it can be altered and manipulated at whim.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                      Since "morality" is based on a simple premise, do unto others, live and let live, or to each his own, holding onto this morality requires a recognition and rejection of hypocrisy - what is the evolutionary basis for this morality?
                      Our morality is not based on those principles. Our basic morality is based on rules meant to enforce social order. You leave others "alone" not because that is what they would want, but because it minimizes conflict and fighting.

Once the basic rules are laid out, and the most basic rules are essentiually universal, then each group is free at its whim, to make up higher level rules, for whatever reason they chose.

Comment

But my morality is not based on avoiding conflict its based on a desire to avoid the hypocrisy of expecting and wanting better treatment than what I dish out. Thats different from a desire to avoid conflict for pragmatic reasons...

So what is the evolutionary basis for the morality contained within the Golden Rule?

Comment

Once the basic rules are laid out, and the most basic rules are essentiually universal, then each group is free at its whim, to make up higher level rules, for whatever reason they chose.
                          I agree morality is based on essentially universal "rules" or desires, but avoiding conflict is not such a rule. However, the recognition of hypocrisy is essentially universal as is the desire to be left alone or helped in time of need. Thats a departure from the evolutionary explanation for morality...

Comment

Berzerker you're also ignoring the fact that that golden rule you mention hasn't been with humanity since the beginning.

It's avoiding conflict within the group. The group as defined by whatever other constructs the society wishes to put around it.

Wanting to be helped is easily explained within an evolutionary framework. A social creature is hardly gonna survive and thrive if they don't recieve help in time of need.

Morality is a product of us being social animals. First and foremost morality is a system by which we regulate our behaviour towards others and secondly as a way to identify what constitutes the group of others.

Comment

Berzerker you're also ignoring the fact that that golden rule you mention hasn't been with humanity since the beginning.
                              Sure it has, it was born the moment human beings discovered the bitter taste of hypocrisy... If I am starving and want you to give me food, how can I - in good "conscience" - deny a starving man food? That aint about avoiding conflict, its about avoiding hypocrisy.

Evolution doesn't want us to avoid conflict, evolution feeds off conflict... We wouldn't be here without conflict. Thats how hierarchies within and among species are created, the natural order. And yet here we are, a species born of this conflict with the intelligence to recognize a morality based on rejecting the hypocrisy of mistreating others while expecting or wanting better for ourselves. "Equality" and evolution are contradictory, equality and morality are not.

Comment

Working...
                              X