This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher

It's really nothing to brag about at this point in the season. I don't know which team is playing right now, but it's not the Flames.

It's a shame our eastern roadtrip didn't happen in January again, that's the time the teams start to shape up to what they should be.

And Kipper has looked terrible for the past two games. If he was up to his normal self, and Calgary could put 4 goals like the last two games, that's a sure-fire win.
    Kipper has not looked like his normal self the last few games and I have to believe he will come around. AS well, Tanguay has not been a factor and you have to think that will change.

But my big problem is that Calgary is supposed to have this awesome defence. Yet the defence is not really dominating
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh and a Montreal- Calgary game is so wonderful that its bittersweet . .. my favorite since I was like 5 years old against my "now" hometown club. I wasn't sure how I would feel until the game started but with the first shots, saves and hits it all came back and yup I am still ( and probably always will be) a Canadiens fan.

I was delighted with the Montreal win but a small part of me wished it had been in overtime so Calgary could have gotten a point
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It was one of the better games I've ever been to I did not expect that from the Flames.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

MY assessment on 3 teams

Calgary-- underperforming.

Kipper does not look great and this team has to learn to win games when he is not superlative. Phaneuf is a workhorse and will be a star but the rest of the d needs to be better. Warrener coming back will be a plus.

Up front there is still too little scoring ( said despite the two losing 4 goal outbursts)-- Tanguay has not created offence as well as expected and Iginla has been sporadic. The team still seems to feel the lack of a good playmaking centre. Lomabardi and Langkow have played reasonably well but not yet well enough. I expected more offence from Huselius too . . . the guy has some fantastic moves and you wonder why he isn't a big time scorer and playmaker -- he just doesn't seem to get things finished

Montreal--- winning the close ones

Montreal only has 17 goals for against 15 against but yet are undefeated in regulation. They are just winning ALL the close games and with a better shootout performance they could now be 5-0-0.

AS much as I am a fan, I don't think this can last. I have always considered their D to be a weak link and they are getting pretty banged up.

The bonus for them is goaltending. Huet came in as the number one supposedly based on last years playoff run but a 3.16 GAA and .886 % pales compared to Aebischers 1.44 and .955. I was actually surprised to see Huet get the Calgary start but believe we might see Aebischer in the next outing. They are talking as if they have two top goalies but Huet will have to start playing better if he wants half the starts

They have a talented group of forwards and hopefully some conistent scoring plus timely goalkeeping will see Montral solidly in a playoff spot . . . I still wish they had more size though.

Edmonton-- forwards plus

I see Edmonton a bit like I see MOntreal just with stronger forwards and maybe a weaker defense. BUt maybe the d gets a bum rap. Sure there are no "big-name" guys on theior d any more but they do seem able to win the lowscoring affairs so the jury is still out.

The Edmonton offense seems scary-good although they haven't scored as much as I thought they might. Roloson and Markkanen give them a credible 1-2 punch in net

Comment

I haven't followed the other 3 Canadian teams closely enough but my quickie assessment

Vancouver-- Luongo may be the spark they need to get back into the playoffs-- They could be in tough

Ottawa-- while I don't believe in their goaltending, I have to figure they are good enough otherwise to be a playoff team ( despite their start)

Toronto-- who knows? They were my early pick to not make the playoffs. I think I'll stick with that

Comment

If you mean a vast array of weak wristshots from the point, then sure, it was an onslaught.
              From up close, from the slot, from the point.

Oh, and the two blueline shots by Sundin that Kippersoft fluffed on.

The real concern for me in the game is how terribly slow Toronto's D was, and how pathetic it is when Calgary can score 4 goals against you in regulation with your top goalie in net.

Four of Toronto's defencemen are injured so the opponents are bound to find gaps, but the Leafs are still finding ways to win.

And what you don't realize is Toronto are strong on the transition, something that requires mental quickness.

And yeah, Gill is slow, and I was worried about him, but he's already +4, better than any Calgary d-men, which of course, isn't saying much.

But that's largely because the Flames d-line is one dimensional. Fine for the defensive game, but unable to shift gears.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                Toronto-- who knows? They were my early pick to not make the playoffs. I think I'll stick with that
                I thought the Leafs would have a hard time making the playoffs because they seem to lack guys who score. But looking at what they have done, that's not a problem.

The leafs should finish 5th in the east with Buffalo taking the conference, followed by Carolina, Jersey and Atlanta.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

I thought the Leafs would have a hard time making the playoffs because they seem to lack guys who score. But looking at what they have done, that's not a problem.
                  You may be right-- you do follow Toronto closer than me, I'm sure. BUT I try not to read too much into a short snip of a season like 6-7 games. If Toronto is still looking good 20 games in, I'll give their performance more credence.

I'm a huge Montreal fan but I'm not yet too excited by their start. Same with my disappointment with Calgary . .. heck IIRC they started even worse last year than this and they definitely did do things that should mean they are improved this season

The big IF for Calgary is in goal. IF Kipper is not somewhere near as good as last season, the Flames are in trouble.

The leafs should finish 5th in the east with Buffalo taking the conference, followed by Carolina, Jersey and Atlanta.
                  Where do Ottawa and Montreal fit?

Comment

You have to understand that if you are a die-hard Leafs fan, you are required by law to think that Ottawa sucks and will never be as good as Toronto. Even if they make the playoffs and you don't.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                      You have to understand that if you are a die-hard Leafs fan, you are required by law to think that Ottawa sucks and will never be as good as Toronto. Even if they make the playoffs and you don't.
                      TRue but I was still curious where he placed them

Comment

I actually find this sig funny

Stanley Cup wins by the Leafs:11
                        Stanley Cup wins by the Flames:1
                        Enough said.
                        - Calgary: Playing hockey since 1980.

I prefer the "Cups in my lifetime stat"

Flames 1, Leafs ZERO

Comment

Just picked up Aebischer.

NYE, why did you drop him?
                          Too many goalies. I decided to stick with a starter (Khabi) over a question mark.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                            Edmonton-- forwards plus

I see Edmonton a bit like I see MOntreal just with stronger forwards and maybe a weaker defense. BUt maybe the d gets a bum rap. Sure there are no "big-name" guys on theior d any more but they do seem able to win the lowscoring affairs so the jury is still out.

The Edmonton offense seems scary-good although they haven't scored as much as I thought they might. Roloson and Markkanen give them a credible 1-2 punch in net
                            What's funny is the forwards are struggling to find their groove(s). Outside of the 4th line nobody is playing consistently well up front.

They've got 4 wins on about 7 good periods of hockey. Thank Roli, Jussi, and an under-rated D for the rest (more Roli and Jussi though).
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Four of Toronto's defencemen are injured so the opponents are bound to find gaps, but the Leafs are still finding ways to win.
                              Two of Calgary's goals were Forwards easily walking around the lumbering Gill, and one of them was a very slow McCabe.

Surprisingly, it was your youngest D men doing the best as they were at the very least mobile.

And what you don't realize is Toronto are strong on the transition, something that requires mental quickness.
                              Hal Gill and Bryan McCabe -- the smartest players in hockey?

/me dies.

And yeah, Gill is slow, and I was worried about him, but he's already +4, better than any Calgary d-men, which of course, isn't saying much.

But that's largely because the Flames d-line is one dimensional. Fine for the defensive game, but unable to shift gears.
                              +/- is deceptive because Calgary doesn't score goals. That doesn't have much to do with how good, defensively, the defensemen are.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I finally figured out what you meant -- this must be a reference to Hal Gill's remarkable ability at giving up turnovers.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X