Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the Muslim equivalent to an enlightened tyranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the Muslim equivalent to an enlightened tyranny?

....or is the president guy just scared that any rise in islamism will threaten his power?

(yes I decided to pull an aneeshm )

Tunisia moves against headscarves
    By Heba Saleh
    BBC News, Cairo

Two women in the Tunisian capital on 12 October 2006
    Islamic headscarves are banned in schools and government offices
    The Tunisian authorities have launched a campaign against the Islamic veil worn by some women to cover their hair.

Police are applying with renewed vigour a decree dating back to 1981 which prohibits women from wearing Islamic headscarves in public places.

In recent days, senior officials have hit out at what they describe as sectarian dress worn by people who use religion to hide political aims.

Human rights groups describe the move as unconstitutional.

Police in Tunisia have been stopping women on the streets and asking them to remove their headscarves and sign pledges that they will not go back to wearing them.

Under a ban introduced in 1981, women in Tunisia are not allowed to wear Islamic dress in schools or government offices. Those who insist on it face losing their jobs.

One woman said she was barred from entering her son's school wearing a headscarf.

'Unconstitutional'

The President, Zine El Abidine Ali, described the headscarf as a sectarian form of dress which had come into Tunisia uninvited.

Other officials said Islamic dress was being promoted by extremists who exploited religion for their political ambitions.

Tunisian human rights activists accused the authorities of depriving women of a basic freedom guaranteed by the constitution.

They say many people are upset by the ban, but that in a country where dissent is not tolerated they dare not show their anger.

Mr Ben Ali has been keen to restrict the spread of ideas or signs and religious symbols which could strengthen the country's outlawed Islamic opposition.

In the 1990s he moved to crush Tunisia's main moderate Islamic movement when fighting erupted in neighbouring Algeria between Islamists and the state
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Do you think some kind of "forced modernization" will be of any help in Muslim countries or will it just backfire and fuel radicalism even more?
    Blah

Supposedly Tunisia is one of the more moderate Arab states and the dictator is pro-western. He's still a dictator though.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Enlightened tranny?? WTF?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Turkey and Iran under the Shah are two other examples of leaders attempting to squelch islam. it isn't going to work in the long run.

Comment

I'll need to know more about the origins of Germanic civilization before I can comment.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

I have to figure out if its good for the Jews before I can comment.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Unbelievable!

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Sloww

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  Supposedly Tunisia is one of the more moderate Arab states and the dictator is pro-western. He's still a dictator though.
                  Yes, he's a dictator without doubt. I'm just wondering if his pro-western/anti-islamist POV is of the usual "I'm allying with western forces and crush any inner opposition to keep my seat" dictator ****, or if he does indeed want to modernize his country (if we agree with his methods is of course another thing).
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                    I'll need to know more about the origins of Germanic civilization before I can comment.
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Enlightened tranny?? WTF?
                      I think he meant enlightened dispot.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think you missed the joke Oerdin, unless your mispelling was intentional too.
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                          I tried this line once on Ecthy, and see where it got me (points to sig)
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

You can't blame the guy for being right.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              I have to figure out if its good for the Jews before I can comment.
                              Well, I've checked with John Chrysostom. He says it is, as it will allow you to mark up your already unfair prices on black-market veils. See also the Grimm brothers' "The Jew in the Thornbush." Really, when will you learn to consult reputable sources?[/countersnipe]
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X