No announcement yet.

300 Million Strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the variety of Habadniks that I see all the time are those busily distributing their little yellow messiah flags.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
      Well, the variety of Habadniks that I see all the time are those busily distributing their little yellow messiah flags.
      Did they speficially refer to Schneerson, though? Chabad is still quite focused on yearning for moshiach, and its imminence. But Schneerson himself, while talking alot about moshiach coming soon, never actually said it was him. Never denied it either, IIUC.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

from wiki

"There are various expressions of the Messianic message:

Some express the belief that Rabbi Schneerson was the best candidate for the Messiah in his generation, but now say that people were mistaken to believe that he was the Messiah. Rather, he could have been the messiah if God willed it to be so, but it was not to be. As such, the Messiah will come nonetheless in the person of some other great leader.
        Some emphasize the belief that the classic meaning of death does not apply to a truly righteous person such as Rabbi Schneerson. [19] In this view Rabbi Schneerson never "died", and is still alive in some way that ordinary humans cannot perceive. He will reveal himself in a more obvious way to proclaim his messiahship (see e.g. Rabbi Levi Yitzchack Ginsberg, of Kfar Chabad Yeshiva, in his book Mashiah Akhshav, volume IV, 1996). Many Chabad Hasidim refuse to put the typical honorifics for the dead (e.g. zt"l or zecher tzaddik livrocho, "may the memory of the righteous be for a blessing") after Rabbi Schneerson's name. They rely upon the Rebbe's statement that the world has entered new period in its history and that, contrary to what has happened in the past, the leader of the generation will not be hidden "even through burial", but that he would remain alive until the revelation of the Messiah. (See Dvar Malchut, Parashat Shoftim, 5751).

A sign declaring the Rebbe as the Messiah, on display in Crown Heights
        In contrast, Berger's claims have been attacked as false and misleading by several books written in response to his claims.

David Singer, Director of Research for the American Jewish Committee, wrote a lengthy criticism of Dr. Berger at OrthodoxyToday.org, stating, among other things, that Berger has "emerged as a would-be Torquemada on the Orthodox scene, demanding a policy of 'intolerance' and 'exclusion' toward those he deems to be heretical to Orthodoxy". [20]
        Rabbi Ahron Soloveitchik expressed concern for voices attacking Chabad. He urged that there not be unnecessary controversy, demanded respect for Chabad, and expressed praise for its work and stated that its beliefs are not outside the realm of Orthodox Judaism.
        Rav Eliyahu Shmerler, Tzanzer Rosh Yeshiva, signed a document saying that he believes that the Lubavitcher Rebbe is Moshiach even now. (Dalfin, Chaim, "Attack on Lubavitch")
        Rav Yaakov Yosef, Rav Ovadia Yosef's son, signed a document saying that he believes that the Lubavitcher Rebbe is Moshiach. (Dalfin, Chaim, "Attack on Lubavitch")
        Rav Hirshprung, Av Beth Din of Montreal has said that the belief that the Lubavitcher Rebbe is Moshiach is totally valid. (In a signed letter dated 13th of Iyar 5757 (1997) Printed in the "Algemeiner Journal". (Dalfin, Chaim, "Attack on Lubavitch"))
        Likewise, Professor Aviezer Ravitzky, chairman of the department of Jewish philosophy at Hebrew University, strongly disputes Berger's claims that new Chabad teachings amount to heresy; however, he does not believe that such beliefs are correct. In regards to those who wait for Schneerson to return from the dead as a messiah, Ravitzky stated "Torah does not prohibit a person from being stupid" "

Typically Israeli, that last, I might say.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          Allows for more production, more scientists, more expansion.

Basically it is what pushes us to acheive!

JM
          More scientists I can see, but why more production?
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

More people to produce stuff. Economies of scale to make them more efficient.
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

People in America produce stuff?
              Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

Comment

Immigration
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

It's getting very crowded on this planet. Time to move.

I'm not sure the environment can continue to sustain this level of growth of humans, especailly as we consume and waste more and more resources. Certainly our productive power will continue to grow, but we're approaching peak oil and the seas are already showing massive strain. We're warming the planet. And where the hell am I gonna find room for a beach house!?!
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

300 million!
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

I think that's wrong. You have to look at the constraints, such as the price inputs. As you produce at higher levels the cost of production increases.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Never gonna happen.
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

"Earth is the cradle of humanity, etc."
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

I think that's wrong. You have to look at the constraints, such as the price inputs. As you produce at higher levels the cost of production increases.

Sorry, I dont speak econobabble. What's "produce at higher levels" and "price inputs".

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

Sorry, I dont speak econobabble. What's "produce at higher levels" and "price inputs".
                              Are you familiar with David Ricardo's argument against the Corn Laws? He argued that as more land is used for the production of corn the marginal cost of producing corn increases. The same is true today. As world population increases the marginal cost of meeting the needs of more people increases.

As far as economy of scales is concerned, the Ancient Greeks tried to figure out what the perfect population of a city is. I think they came up with around 5,000, which is way too small for today, but a city of over 1 million is probably too big. At least we can say that we have plenty of cities which are plenty big enough for any kind of production.

Comment

I think a big part of the problem of "letting the markets handle it" is that the markets externalize a lot of factors, making it much less expensive for us to destroy our environment than it should be. If all true factors were included, it wouldn't be profitible to do a lot of the things we do.

It's because we refuse to protect the commons that we let ourselves get into trouble. If instead of treating the commons as no one's property, we treated it as everyones property, we'd be a lot better off.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X