GOP losing grip on married moms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOP losing grip on married moms

This is really good news because the GOP used to own the married mother vote yet even the dunces who voted for shrub in 2004 have finally figured out how stupid they were and have now begun defecting in droves to the Democratic Party.

Polls: GOP losing grip on married moms
    POSTED: 12:39 p.m. EDT, October 9, 2006

NEW ALBANY, Indiana (AP) -- After winning over moms in back-to-back elections, Republicans have lost their advantage among married women with children this year.

The Republican Party has seen the support of people like Jeannette Hopkins evaporate.

A 30-year-old married mother of two and a Republican, Hopkins voted for President Bush in 2004. But she says she probably will support the Democrat in her congressional district this fall "because of the way that everything's been handled" with the GOP in charge of Congress and Bush in the White House.

"We're in a really scary place right now," Hopkins said recently. She vented about what she called the gone-on-too-long Iraq war, a sluggish economy, the bungled Hurricane Katrina response and a continuing terrorism threat.

She blamed Republicans as she hustled down an alley to the office she manages in this Louisville, Kentucky, suburb.

Votes like hers could decide which party controls the House and Senate after the November 7 vote.

Poll results and interviews with political analysts indicate the GOP has lost ground with a voting group that helped the party keep hold of Congress and the White House in 2002 and 2004. Married moms have become a volatile swing group just as Democrats need to gain 15 GOP-held House seats and six in the Senate to win control of Capitol Hill.

An Associated Press-Ipsos poll this month found that support is now evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans among married women with children in the house. Republicans won this voting group by 18 percentage points in 2002 and Bush won it by 14 percentage points in 2004.

The shift among married moms was reflected in the anxiety-laden voices of several in the Ohio River Valley, a conservative region home to several competitive House races.

"People have no money. The economy is not going well," said Michele Huber, 29. A married mother of three, she gave the country a "poor to fair" rating as she speed-walked in a suburban Cincinnati park with one of her children, a niece and a nephew in tow.

A Republican, she voted for Bush in 2004. She said she was not sure whether she would again if she had the chance or whether she would vote with her party next month -- a sentiment echoed by others.

GOP owned mom vote
    For years, the GOP has held a slight advantage with this group of voters. Republicans made additional gains leading up to and through the 2000 presidential election, in part because, according to analysts and exit polls, married moms were attracted to Bush's emphasis on social conservatism and had a general fondness for the man himself.

In the 2002 congressional elections, more than half of married moms sided with Republicans while only 35 percent voted with Democrats. Two years later, in a presidential election year, married moms preferred Bush over Democratic Sen. John Kerry by 56 percent to 42 percent.

That GOP advantage has evaporated.

In the AP-Ipsos poll, married women with children split evenly on the question of whether they would vote for or lean toward the Democratic or Republican candidate in their congressional district.

The frustration in this group of voters is a reflection of the broader population, now down on the president and Congress as the unpopular Iraq war drags on and economic growth has slowed.

"Married moms, like Americans in other demographic groups, are much more critical of President Bush, are angry at Washington, are concerned about Iraq and are worried about many other things," said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center, an independent public opinion organization that also found married moms breaking even.

The AP-Ipsos poll showed that married moms care as much about health care and the economy as they do about terrorism. The situation in Iraq is a greater concern than taxes, Social Security and gas prices. They tend to believe that Democrats would handle Iraq and the economy better than Republicans, but they favor Republicans on dealing with terrorism.

'It keeps getting worse'
    Outside a Wal-Mart in Fort Wright, Kentucky, two moms hauled their kids out of their minivans. One of the women voted for Bush. One did not. Neither was pleased with the direction of the country.

"We're not happy," said Christy Blaker, 32, as she loaded a McDonald's-munching Emily, 4, and Becca, 18 months, into a shopping cart. A self-described independent, the stay-at-home mom and her husband, who replaces the breaks on train wheels, did not back Bush in 2004. She says she probably will not support Republicans next month.

The war unnerves and conflicts her. She frets about "horrible" gas prices and bemoans an economy in which inflation seems to rise higher than wages. If life does not improve, she said she may have to get a part-time job.

Across the parking lot, another stay-at-home mom, Tina Wagner, 31, voiced similar fears while two of her three children, Grace, 4, and Faith, 15 months, fidgeted. Hope, 6, was in school.

A Republican, Wagner voted for Bush in 2004 but expressed disappointment about his job performance in the two years since.

"He's made some good decisions but I also think he's made some bad," she said, lamenting Bush's justification for going to war in Iraq. "I feel like he rushed into it."

She, too, complained about gas prices, job losses, health care costs and lack of coverage. "It keeps getting worse and worse," said Wagner, whose husband's textbook sales job supports the family.

This fall, Wagner said she would consider voting for a Democrat "if they fit my values."

Despite the GOP's lost ground, all is not lost for Republicans.

Laura Hall of Pewee Valley, Kentucky, has three kids, including a high-school-aged son who is considering joining the military upon graduation. The owner of a child- and elder-care placement service, the 46-year-old Hall worries about immigration, border security and threats from North Korea.

A Republican, she voted for Bush in 2004. She is uncertain if she will stick with the party this fall. But she is not hot on Democrats, either.

"I never see them explain how they could do it better," Hall said. "If somebody could explain how they could do it better, then I think I'd be more open to their ideas."
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

All the complaints about the economy in that article really sadden me. Maybe the American people really are as ignorant as the Dems seem to think they are...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Or maybe the issue really is what the average person makes, instead of what the wealthy make.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Wage growth over the past year (4%) has been greater than the average for the past 25 years (3.3%). No, I'm afraid it's really ignorance...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You should know that people judge on the past, not the present..

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Judging the current economy based on old information is ignorant, isn't it?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

GOP are teh gay. First they have Foley then they lose their grip on MILFs.

Pantywastes. meh.

Where's Arnold when you need him?
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Wage growth over the past year (4%) has been greater than the average for the past 25 years (3.3%). No, I'm afraid it's really ignorance...
                There is indeed ignorance, but it's on the part of the members of the GOP, who consistently believe increases in the economy are spread across the board, rather than concentrated with the top 1% of income earners.

The American economy is doing well.
                But economics of most Americans is not.

Comment

People don't judge their economic situation on statistics that could very well be manipulated, but certainly don't reflect the realities they live in. What people have seen is in the last five years, the rate at which the rich have gotten richer increased, while the poor continue to get poorer. What people see is that the government no longer has their back; college tuitions have gone up, medicare is a joke, social security is in danger, and we still haven't won the war in Iraq.

So you can say it's ignorance all you want, but you're trying to dismiss people's realities with stistics.
                  "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

I'm sorry, but you have to be pretty ****ing stupid to think that a 4% annual growth in wages benefits the top 1% of income earners to the exclusion of everyone else.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral

People don't judge their economic situation on statistics that could very well be manipulated, but certainly don't reflect the realities they live in. What people have seen is in the last five years, the rate at which the rich have gotten richer increased, while the poor continue to get poorer. What people see is that the government no longer has their back; college tuitions have gone up, medicare is a joke, social security is in danger, and we still haven't won the war in Iraq.

So you can say it's ignorance all you want, but you're trying to dismiss people's realities with stistics.
                      Aside from the lowest quintile as of 2003 the median income in 2nd and 3rd quintiles (lower middle to middle class) has grown. OTOH the upper bounds of the lowest quintile has simlarly grown from 2000-2003. No data exists for 2004-2005 that I can see. I'ld be interested in seeing the last two years trends.

All the while saying this the tax burden b/c of the hateful Bush tax cuts have virtually eliminated federal income tax burdens for this lowest quintile.

Tax Policy Center
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Does that growth take into account inflation? I'm fairly certain that people aren't ignorant of their own wellbeing.

Comment

All the complaints about the economy in that article really sadden me. Maybe the American people really are as ignorant as the Dems seem to think they are...
                          Well they did vote for Bush twice in a row
                          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

this is a good thing. They shouldn't be molesting married moms.

Okay stupid joke (if anyone got it). I just saw the thread title and instantly thought about sex.

As for married moms. Actually I thought the term was soccer moms. The one's who supported the repugs. I think they realized that Bush can't make them any safer.

Comment

Honestly? I am not pissed about the economy. I am pissed about the loss of rights, our actions against people who are accused of being terrorists, our actions in Iraq, etc.

That is what pisses me off. The rich growing richer I just feel unpleasent about.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X