Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

That's what I mean. I've been to NC, SC, GA, VA and FL

Of all of those, only NC and FL both lack the strong social hierarchy of the others. I imagine that Alabama has it too.

Even MD (outside Baltimore, obviously) has a strange aristocratic layer floating on top.
    Outside Baltimore? Id say youd find it more among "old wealthy baltimorons" than in, say, Frederick County, or Hagerstown. You should read "The Amiable Baltimorans" and of course anything by Ann Tylor. Its hard to find those people, theyre tucked up in Ruxton and similar places, and go to carefully selected private schools, and they know each other by what Lacrosse team they played on. JHU is a different world - they inhabited the banks and insurance companies, mainly. And they havent had real political power in Balt in a long time, but then they dont have it in most of the rest of MD either. Of course St Marys County, and Transchoptankia on the eastern shore are very southern but not quite So Car style, Id say.

You should also read "Maryland, a Middle Tempermant"
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Outside Baltimore? Id say youd find it more among "old wealthy baltimorons" than in, say, Frederick County, or Hagerstown. You should read "The Amiable Baltimorans" and of course anything by Ann Tylor. Its hard to find those people, theyre tucked up in Ruxton and similar places, and go to carefully selected private schools, and they know each other by what Lacrosse team they played on. JHU is a different world - they inhabited the banks and insurance companies, mainly. And they havent had real political power in Balt in a long time, but then they dont have it in most of the rest of MD either. Of course St Marys County, and Transchoptankia on the eastern shore are very southern but not quite So Car style, Id say.

You should also read "Maryland, a Middle Tempermant"
      I was thinking "just outside Baltimore"

Timonium etc
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

defining the national identity of parts of a country based purely on politics, and contemporary politics at that, is not a very deep approach. Considering the OP seemed to define such depth as "unamerican" I find this profoundly ironic.

If you don't think that politics makes a very real difference in people's lives then you are wrong.

I'm not basing my analysis on history, because the question is on the current state of society. When a country has a much more significant polarization of wealth than other countries (as the US does), then this becomes a (if not the) major factor in comparisons. VT has a much more level society than do surrounding states. The feeling you get from common people is also different, and seems to me to be much more "Canadian" in some undefinable way. This might be a result of the previously mentioned measurements, or it might not.

Either way, the point is that in defining what is "American" it's going to be based on those things about the US which are different from other countries. Similarly, those places in the US where society more resembles much of the rest of the world are going to be labelled "unamerican".
        Vermont may have a low Gini ratio, but I very much doubt that California does, even if you confine it to Northern Calif. Id bet some southern states have lower Gini coefficients than some very liberal northern states, so thats going to be different.

Its been noted that the entire "upper North" is more like anglo-Canada in many ways. Im not sure that makes it more like Europe though. Id suggest that NYC, the city of my birth, is a lot more like a European place than almost anywhere in Vermont, though its much less like Anglo Canada. ANd as LordShiva implicitly points out, its damned ethnocentric to define "being more like the rest of the world" as being more like Western Europe or Canada. What parts of the US are more or less like India, or Russia, or Japan?

The fact is that there is an American mainstream in society and culture, which has differences from the rest of the world, and there are deviations from that, in several directions. The implication that most redneck, more conservative, least intellectual is most american,is simply trolling.

Is the Yukon Territory the most Canadian part of Canada, and Ontario the least Canadian, because what sets Canada apart is that its cold and empty? I mean thats the level of logic being used here.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I was thinking "just outside Baltimore"

Timonium etc
          The city limit is arbitrary. Their are (or were in the 80's) real social connections between Roland Park, Guilford, Ruxton, etc.

Comment

Vermont may have a low Gini ratio, but I very much doubt that California does, even if you confine it to Northern Calif
            Good thing I didn't mention California.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The implication that most redneck, more conservative, least intellectual is most american,is simply trolling.

Tru Dat hence my counter troll.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The city limit is arbitrary. Their are (or were in the 80's) real social connections between Roland Park, Guilford, Ruxton, etc.
                I guess so. In my mind Homewood campus is just barely inside "the city" (even though it goes on for another couple of miles)

I know the neighbourhoods you mean, and I consider them part of what I meant, though I should have been more precise.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Alone far in the wilds and mountains I hunt,
                  Wandering amazed at my own lightness and glee,
                  In the late afternoon choosing a safe spot to pass the night,
                  Kindling a fire and broiling the fresh-kill'd game,
                  Falling asleep on the gather'd leaves with my dog and gun by my
                  side.

The Yankee clipper is under her sky-sails, she cuts the sparkle
                  and scud,
                  My eyes settle the land, I bend at her prow or shout joyously from
                  the deck.

The boatmen and clam-diggers arose early and stopt for me,
                  I tuck'd my trowser-ends in my boots and went and had a good time;
                  You should have been with us that day round the chowder-kettle.

I saw the marriage of the trapper in the open air in the far west,
                  the bride was a red girl,
                  Her father and his friends sat near cross-legged and dumbly smoking,
                  they had moccasins to their feet and large thick blankets
                  hanging from their shoulders,
                  On a bank lounged the trapper, he was drest mostly in skins, his
                  luxuriant beard and curls protected his neck, he held his bride
                  by the hand,
                  She had long eyelashes, her head was bare, her coarse straight locks
                  descended upon her voluptuous limbs and reach'd to her
                  feet.

The runaway slave came to my house and stopt outside,
                  I heard his motions crackling the twigs of the woodpile,
                  Through the swung half-door of the kitchen I saw him limpsy and
                  weak,
                  And went where he sat on a log and led him in and assured him,
                  And brought water and fill'd a tub for his sweated body and bruis'd
                  feet,
                  And gave him a room that enter'd from my own, and gave him some
                  coarse clean clothes,
                  And remember perfectly well his revolving eyes and his awkwardness,
                  And remember putting piasters on the galls of his neck and ankles;
                  He staid with me a week before he was recuperated and pass'd north,
                  I had him sit next me at table, my fire-lock lean'd in the corner.

Comment

I still await the day to see lordshira make a serious post reply.

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Hey, I answered the question, didn't I?
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Outside Baltimore? Id say youd find it more among "old wealthy baltimorons" than in, say, Frederick County, or Hagerstown.
                        Hagerstown westward isn't much like Maryland at all. It's far more like Pennsylvania and / or West Virginia, and was solidly pro-Union back in the Civil War.
                        Last edited by Wycoff; October 6, 2006, 12:08.
                        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

You might define "UnAmerican" as those who wish to change the US the most. By that definition, California is the only experience I have in that area.

However, it's been the "conservatives" who have more recently proposed a change to the constitution, a program that breaks the 4th Ammendment, a change to the Geneva convention, and had one its members come out as gay, so who knows. It's like something George Orwell would write, all these changes in the name of "conservativism."

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            Most un-American state? I'd say it's a tie among the following:

1. Andhra Pradesh
                            2. Arunachal Pradesh
                            3. Assam
                            4. Bihar
                            5. Chhattisgarh
                            6. Delhi
                            7. Goa
                            8. Gujarat
                            9. Haryana
                            10. Himachal Pradesh
                            11. Jammu and Kashmir
                            12. Jharkhand
                            13. Karnataka
                            14. Kerala
                            15. Madhya Pradesh
                            16. Maharashtra
                            17. Manipur
                            18. Meghalaya
                            19. Mizoram
                            20. Nagaland
                            21. Orissa
                            22. Punjab
                            23. Rajasthan
                            24. Sikkim
                            25. Tamil Nadu
                            26. Tripura
                            27. Uttaranchal
                            28. Uttar Pradesh
                            29. West Bengal
                            Clearly, you're just pulling these names out of your ass. Everybody knows that only the good ol' USA has states. All the other countries have "Provinces" or "Republics" or "Departments".
                            B♭3

Comment

Outside Baltimore? Id say youd find it more among "old wealthy baltimorons" than in, say, Frederick County, or Hagerstown.
                              Better a Baltimoron than a M*******.
                              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                                Clearly, you're just pulling these names out of your ass. Everybody knows that only the good ol' USA has states. All the other countries have "Provinces" or "Republics" or "Departments".
                                No, we call them "states" too
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X