Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear god. The Finns are trying to steal Lake Superior!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eli
    LOTM:

African is considered a national origin.

Considered shmonsidered. People whose origins are from South Africa are not of the same nationality of people who came from Kongo or Senegal.
    You need to recall that folks put down what they "know", and use their own sense of identity. I dont recall answering the question (only a sample answers the census long form) but if we had, Im sure QOTM would have put down Hungarian. Since she was born in Hungary. What would her father have put down? He was born in Ruthenia - it was Czechoslovak when he was born, USSR when he arrived in the US, and Ukraine at the time of the 2000 census. However he was part of a community that thought of itself as Hungarian Jews, and tended to speak Magyar when it wasnt speaking Yiddish.

Similarly, Im sure someone whose ancestors are from Galicia puts down Polish or Ukrainian depending on their sense of identity, even if they come from the same town. ANd I bet most of Sudeten German origin put down German, not Czech.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

we've had this thread before. but it's worth discussing again, i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

people who presumably dont know their national origins, and just put down American. Probably the overwhelming majority are of British ancestry.
        I'd guess Scotts-Irish.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
        X