Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I lament for my generation . . . . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lament for my generation . . . . . . . .

When I compare the legacies left behind my parents' and my generation , I lament the sorry state popular culture is in today in India .

They will be remembered for such musical greats as Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle and Pandit Jasraj - whereas we will be remembered for Himesh Reshammiya !

They will be remembered for movies such as Mughal-e-Azam and actors and actresses like Prithviraj Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan and Madhubala - whereas we will be remembered for movies such as Murder and actors and actresses such as Salman Khan and Mallika Sherawat .

They will be remembered as the generation that built up India's intellectual class - and we as the ones who squandered this intellectual capital .

They will be the ones who , bit by tortuous bit , built up India's physical infrastructure - whereas we will be remembered as the ones incapable of even maintaining it .

Sometimes when I see other people my age , I wonder what strange urges drive them to what amounts to literally drowning themselves temporary enjoyment , forgetting all about the long run , forgetting that they have to achieve something in life .

There is no fire in their belly . They have no constructive goal in life , no driving force , no desire to leave a mark on history , to even be part of something which will leave a mark on history . They have no desire for immortality .

The worst part is - they have no spirit of rebellion . My parents' generation rebelled against the old order , and put in its place a new intellectual class . My generation is actively and positively anti-intellectual . They blindly follow the path of least resistance , both physically , economically , and intellectually . Either they have no innate creative power to evolve an identity for themselves , for their generation , or there is a huge conspiracy which includes everyone but me where they have decided not to use it .

This may sound like an old man's lament to many , but I've seen the degeneration from the time when I was a child to the state right now . And I'm just 18 years old . I wonder what further horrors the future has in store .

AT&T is moving its callcenters out of India back to the Americas. Indians apparently cannot handle simple phone calls.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I might share your lament . . . if I had any idea as to the identy of any of those people you named
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yep. It's the shits, isn't it?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

They will be remembered for such musical greats as Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle and Pandit Jasraj - whereas we will be remembered for Himesh Reshammiya !

Yeah, I too always liked Mangeshkar more than that amateur Reshammiya.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

my cell phone call centre seems to be located in India. I've only once had a problem with the person on the other end.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
              madness,
              starving hysterical naked,
              dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
              angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
              connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
              who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat
              up smoking in the supernatural darkness of
              cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities
              contemplating jazz,
              who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and
              saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated,
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

M. Night Shyamalan is not bad
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  I heartily disagree.

Comment

I lament , very much , the state of Indian punctuation . These spaces , the ones put before commas and other marks , they serve no purpose but to inflate the sentence and kill more trees when the work is printed .

(I'd say more, except I too have no idea who you're referring to.)
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                      I lament , very much , the state of Indian punctuation . These spaces , the ones put before commas and other marks , they serve no purpose but to inflate the sentence and kill more trees when the work is printed .

(I'd say more, except I too have no idea who you're referring to.)
                      Eats, shoots, and curry just doesn't have the same ring.

Comment

Do all the movies you listed feature an orphan, an elephant and a train at some pont in the movie?

What is being left out in nowdays Indian movies?
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

I liked a few of his movies, but he hasn't done much lately.

Comment

Re: I lament for my generation . . . . . . . .

Originally posted by aneeshm
                            And I'm just 18 years old . I wonder what further horrors the future has in store .
                            Over-population of the earth. India is mostly responsible with china...Heavy polution...India is also mostly responsible with china....

When are you people going to realize that throwing your dead in a river is not a good idea?

Come to think of it, we should nuke china and india. Like in Rome, Exterminate populace.

Spec.
                            Last edited by Spec; September 27, 2006, 16:23.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I like him too. But I thought he was American.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X