Which decade had the worst music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikolai

I'm 20. My teens mostly was in the 00's in other words. Still, 00's sucks compared to the 80's, early 90's and 70's. I have found out I have about the same music tastes as my father btw, and he's soon 45.

* Nikolai wonders if he's quite normal.
    I'm not the same. My father stopped liking new music in 1973...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Hehe... I sometimes wonder if not my father is more modern in his music tastes than me. He's more positive to the 00's for example.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The 70's were the best but the 60's were the most important.

It's all gone downhill since music video's. I can only hope that the internet helps bring music back.

EDIT

voted 00's as worst. I cant think of anyone new band that I think is better than crappy
        Last edited by SpencerH; September 26, 2006, 12:00.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
          They rose and fell, Dis.
          Agreed regarding the lack of improvement.
          Errr... hair bands rose in the early-mid 80s. If you remember Poison, Bon Jovi (in their prime years), Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

As someone who bought Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn' shortly after it was released in the 70s, let me assure you the 80s did not introduce electronic music.

Bernard Herrmann was busily sneaking electronic music played on the theremin into films for Hitchcock and Robert Wise in the 1950s:

The Bernard Herrmann Society - Society for the Appreciation of the Music of Bernard Herrmann (1911-1975)

Sing, Janet, sing!
            stfu. if you want to get technical then why use kraftwerk? im saying electronic music was birthed in whole in the 80s, not just inseminated. introduced to the masses and was accepted by the masses.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Birthed in whole in the 80s? Have we forgotten about disco that quickly, MRT?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Many bands were using synths in the early-mid 70s. Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Genesis and many others in the so-called prog-rock genre used them.

The first all-electronic band I recall was called 7th Wave, and that was the mid-70s. Todd Rundgren's Utopia was all electronic, and that was about '76 or '77.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

disco wasnt electronic music imran. horn sections werent replaced by synths wholely unti the 80s. at most they were complimentary instruments to the ensemble in the 70s
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Hawkwind were making electronic music in the late 60's.

I've said it on other threads, and I'll say it again here. Many very, very good bands slip under the industry radar and never see the light of day. I've seen a ton of good bands in London over the last 5 years that says to me that there's plenty of good music out there, but most of the stuff that 'makes it' doen't impress me.

So, judging by the mainstream we are in a poor decade, but because the mainstream is decided by a combination of fashion-faddists and accountants, it doesn't represent the art that is actually being made.

I think the 60's, 70's and 90's all had a lot of good stuff making the mainstream, and were all revolutionary decades in various respects. The 80's was my teenage decade but I didn't like the mainstream at the time and it sounds even worse now because of the cheap, cheesy drum samples that foolishly became fashionable at that time.

So for me, despite liking early Echo & the Bunnymen and other post-punk Indie bands as a teenager, the 80's is the worst decade, as the 00's hasn't run its course yet and might still come up with something.

Comment

It's worth pointing out too that the early 80's and late 80's had characteristics of the 70's and 90's respectively. So, for example, Husker Du, Throwing Muses and Pixies (the most influential bands of their genre in their era) were actually going in the late 80's, but it was the following decade that they came to fruition, so-to-speak.

Comment

While I'm on a roll here, I sometimes suspect that Reagan and Thatcher somehow had a stifling effect on the creativity of their subjects during the eighties.

An unsubstantiated opinion, I admit, but I can't help suspecting it nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                          disco wasnt electronic music imran. horn sections werent replaced by synths wholely unti the 80s. at most they were complimentary instruments to the ensemble in the 70s
                          A lot of disco was indeed electronic music.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

stfu. if you want to get technical then why use kraftwerk? im saying electronic music was birthed in whole in the 80s, not just inseminated. introduced to the masses and was accepted by the masses.

Many New wave bands of the eighties included an electronic sound but it was nothing compared to Kraftwerk, ELP, Yes, etc
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

A lot of disco was indeed electronic music.
                              Funny I dont remember any maybe you wanna name some (although to be fair I think Molly and my definitions of 'electronic music' differs considerably from some others here).

Comment

When I think of 70's Disco, I too think primarily of horns rather than synths.

Comment

Working...
                                X