Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold Your Head Up

/nitpik
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

current era of music is the worst. Or perhaps 60s, I don't know that much about it. Still, Rolling Stones and Beatles were there, and at the end of this time a couple of 70s bands were created, so it couldn't be that bad.
      In 1997 it was still pretty good, but since then it all went downhill
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

When music genre's "jumped the shark":

Rap - After Dre's Chronic album
        Heavy Metal - After Metallica's Black album
        Grunge - When Curt go Bang finally killed himself
        R&B - still good
        Rock - After Pearl Jam's Vitalogy album
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Pearl Jam was/is grunge, Japher.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

really?

I didn't think so
            Monkey!!!

Comment

well color me stupid... it all sucks now, regardless
              Monkey!!!

Comment

As long as I know, the guy arguing Japher is right

edit:
                I got mistaken by Japher's double post
                Last edited by Heresson; September 26, 2006, 16:45.
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  really?

I didn't think so
                  (Insert wikipedia joke here)

Their name is intimately tied to the rock scene of the early 1990s, and they are considered one of the "Big Four" of the grunge movement[2], alongside Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.

And they are from Seattle!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Today.

Comment

• A little rock geneology for you:
                      Argent was technically an offshoot of the Zombies.

...and "Hold Your head Up" was really their only popular single (in the US). They were keyboard-heavy, but Rod Argent's preferred instrument was the hammond organ.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Addressing something Tiamat was saying several posts back, I guess my semi-encyclopedic knowledge of 70s rock is skewed, as I worked at a "progressive" college radio station. I knew all the rock groups, lots of jazz and blues, but was basically sheltered from Top 40 radio.

We thought stuff like "Afternoon Delight" and such was just laughable pap.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• okay, I have a really shameful admission here. Admitting this should be enough to get me banned from Apolyton.

But similar in theme with the afternoon delight (which I would call soft rock), soft rock was popular in the late 70's along with disco. There was a song by Christopher Cross I liked. It was called Sailing Away.

And I have this song on my hardrive. . I can't believe I admitted to that. I'll never be able to show my face in here again.

Afternoon Delight isn't bad when you think of it's subject matter.

But when I was a kid it was not acceptable for a man (or boy) to admit to listening to soft rock.

Comment

• Afternoon Delight on "Arrested Development"

Comment

• Escape (The Piña Colada Song)
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I'd vote the 70's as the 'best of times and the worst of times'

I loathe disco
                                Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

Working...
                                X