Which decade had the worst music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    I'm barely older than either one of you. This isn't about me anyway, so move on, clowns.
    Says the man with Kinky Friedman in his avatar
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

and I refuse to do banana options.

Comment

70s
        60s
        80s
        90s
        00s

And I'm 28.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Every decade has its strengths and weaknesses.
          I agree with this sentiment.

I rated the 80's as the worst. But really, every decade has horrible music.

I don't care for much in the 60's or 70's. Sorry, not my cup of tea. Though I don't think those decades "sucked". I just don't like that kind of music.

I definitely think there is a lot more music that sucks out there now. However, there is a lot of good stuff too. I think now we have more choices, more genres, and more extremes in terms of good to bad.

I rated the 80's as the worst because I think that's the decade where you started to see the emergence of those extremes (especially with stuff that sucked... pop music in particular). And I hate all that... I don't even know what to call it... Duran Duran, The Cure, Genesis, that kind of crap... 80's "whip it good" electronic/light rock bull****. That is some of the most awful music ever made.

The 90's were amazing. Nirvana, Guns and Roses post-Appetite of Destruction, and a lot of the heavier alternative bands that came up...

Also, Rage Against The Machine... they deserve an honorable mention

And it's not just hard rock/metal/alternative... the early to mid 90's were the best years for rap too. I know not a lot of you guys care for that kind of music, but that's only because you are old and/or not really that cool. Aside from being good music (and don't give me that "rap isn't music BS"), the rap from that period of time was actually about more than just "b1tches and hoes" and guys putting wheels on their cars and platinum in their teeth. There was emotion to it. It was about social injustice and life on the streets. Ice Cube, 2Pac, Bone Thugs... great stuff

Now, rap does suck. It has become little more than pop music. There isn't anything out there worth listening to. But that goes for most other genres too.

It's too early to rate this decade, but it could turn out to be one of the worst thus far, barring some good stuff in the coming years.

Some good bands in the 00's: System of a Down, Audioslave, Linkin Park, Evanescence

There's other stuff out there that is decent, but not real "superstar" bands. Also, electronic music has really progressed in the 00's. Artists like Oakenfold, Tiesto, and others continue to do great things in their genres. The Chemical Brothers are also great.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

don't be dissin' Devo.

one hit wonder to the extreme

and GNR post appetite sucked.

As for rap, I'm partial to Cypress Hill.

Comment

Having lived through all of them, I have to go with the 90s. The acceptance of substituting sampling for musicianship, the rise of the hair bands, and the mainstreaming of gangsta "culture."

I don't think things are improving, but there are certainly some islands of cool amid the sea of drek.

The current decade doesn't qualify; it can only be marked "incomplete."
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

hair bands died in the 90's.

as for incomplete, it doesn't look like we'll see much improvement.

Comment

They rose and fell, Dis.
                  Agreed regarding the lack of improvement.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

and GNR post appetite sucked.
                    the Use Your Illusions were good... but Appetite was the best
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

the 80s introduced electronic music. i love the 80s!
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I kinda lump '90s and rap together, and damn them both.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The 80's were full of new stuff. Mainsteam music was bad (remember Stock-Aitken-Waterman?) but there was just a ton of other stuff to listen to.

The 90' was a great dissapointment for me. It was recycling of the 80' ideas plus some good grunge. The other stuff was just terrible (remenber Techno?)

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                            the 80s introduced electronic music. i love the 80s!

As someone who bought Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn' shortly after it was released in the 70s, let me assure you the 80s did not introduce electronic music.

Bernard Herrmann was busily sneaking electronic music played on the theremin into films for Hitchcock and Robert Wise in the 1950s:

Herrmann's film music career, which overlapped his tenure at CBS Radio, was further established through his work at 20th Century-Fox, where the studio's music director Alfred Newman hired him to score Jane Eyre (1943), Hangover Square (1945), Anna and fire King of Siam (1946), The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947), and The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). During the 1950's -- the final decade of Hollywood's "Golden Age" -- he would compose some of his finest scores, establish a breathe partnership with Alfred Hitchcock, one which includes such unqualified masterworks as The Trouble with Harry (1955), Vertigo (1958), North by Northwest (1959) and, perhaps, most famous of all, Psycho (1960).
                            The Bernard Herrmann Society - Society for the Appreciation of the Music of Bernard Herrmann (1911-1975)

Sing, Janet, sing!
                            Attached Files
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                              I'm curious to see how people vote in relation to their ages.

My guess is that whichever decade you were a teen/college student rates as the best music for that person - with some crossover using a margin of (+/-) 10 years.
                              I'm 20. My teens mostly was in the 00's in other words. Still, 00's sucks compared to the 80's, early 90's and 70's. I have found out I have about the same music tastes as my father btw, and he's soon 45.

/me wonders if he's quite normal.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
                                The 80's were full of new stuff. Mainsteam music was bad (remember Stock-Aitken-Waterman?) but there was just a ton of other stuff to listen to.

The 90' was a great dissapointment for me. It was recycling of the 80' ideas plus some good grunge. The other stuff was just terrible (remenber Techno?)
                                Techno, dance and such mostly is just shiit, but a few of the songs(very few though) is okay. Except E-type, which is very good. Listening to it right now actually.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X