• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "revving his car in a racist manner"

RACIST REV ROW
    EXCLUSIVE
    By Russell Findlay
    A DRIVER spent two nights in jail after being accused of "revving his car in a racist manner".

Mechanic Ronnie Hutton, 49, yesterday described his court ordeal which finally ended when prosecutors dropped the allegation of racism.

But he was still convicted of a breach of the peace for revving the engine of his £25,000 Lotus.

Witnesses claimed he had been trying to intimidate a Libyan couple on the pavement. Ronnie, of Stirling, claims he was only revving the powerful V8 engine to avoid another £15,000 repair bill.

But off-duty Chief Inspector Eoin Jenkins thought he was targeting Muslim Isam Maigel and his wife Hana Saad.

And when Jenkins, now retired, confronted Ronnie he was told to "f*** off".

Advertisement

On Thursday, at Stirling Sheriff court, the Crown ditched the racist part of the charge but Sheriff Andrew Cubie convicted Ronnie of breach of the peace and fined him £150.

Last night, he said: "To be convicted for revving my car in a busy street is hard to take. Does this mean anyone driving a noisy car in Scotland is now a criminal?"

Following the row last September, police officers arrived at Ronnie's home and asked him to come with them to talk about the incident. He ended up being kept in a cell for two nights before being taken to court where he was released without charge.

He complained to the fiscal and the new charges surfaced months later. He said: "The police kept me in custody over the weekend because I made the mistake of swearing at a senior officer."

In court, Mr Maigel, 28, then a student at Stirling Uni, said: "The driver came alongside and was trying to annoy us by revving his engine very, very loudly."

Using an interpreter, Hana Saad, 23, said he had degraded them "maybe because we are Muslim".

Ronnie claims he was only trying to prevent the repeat of a engine problem had had suffered earlier with the Esprit.

He said: "I've had problems with the Lotus since I bought it. I paid £15,000 for a new engine in 2003.

"As soon as I started the car the oil pressure light wouldn't go out. I accept I revved the engine - it's a V8 twin turbo and is noisy and frightening.

"I would openly apologise to this couple. I am not a racist."

He is now considering an appeal against his conviction - and also plans to sell the Lotus. He said: "It has been nothing but trouble."

The first for Scottish news, sport, UK and world news. Get breaking news on Scottish football teams including Rangers, Celtic FC, Hibs FC and more

Oh dear Britain...how the mighty have fallen.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

your
    is racist
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Having a £15,000 repair on a £25,000 car is nuts.
      Blah

Comment

And the moral is... tell a policeman to **** off, and you'll get arrested for something trivial.

No need to nail yourself to your cross this time Caligastia

Comment

Does excessive bass when playing music have any racist connatations? Man, I hate that.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If he had revved an old caddy, that wouldn't have been racist. A Lotus is too white, and therefore racist.
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
              And the moral is... tell a policeman to **** off, and you'll get arrested for something trivial.
              Yep. You don't curse off a policeman and expect to get away with it.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But isn't that anti-freedom?

*runs*

Blah

Comment

You know when these racial laws were expanded over here a few years back, the very first person to be charged with a racially-motivated crime was some ethnic who racially abused a police officer as he was being arrested...

Comment

"Some ethnic"? That's bound to go over well.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If loud engines are a public nuisance, what about the unreasonably-loud car stereos that make the walls shake?

Comment

I was going to post something sarcastic, but I'm too dumbfounded to do so. This is idiotic. Cursing at a police officer is pretty stupid, but even that's not a crime. How stupid.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Dumb****s all of 'em. The people for thinking the guy was revving his engine "at them" the guy for cursing out a cop, and the cops for jailing him on a trumped-up charge. It's ****e, I tell ya.

Do you subscribe to some looney righty newsletter that alerts you to every time a white man is falsely accused of racism, Cali?

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                            I was going to post something sarcastic, but I'm too dumbfounded to do so. This is idiotic. Cursing at a police officer is pretty stupid, but even that's not a crime. How stupid.
                            Actually I would bet that cursing could be a crime in most places-- The "disturbing the peace statutes" in most places is vague enough that a string of vulgarities in a public place could get you cited
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Thats nonsense

I thought this would be about some guy who bought an old broken car, fixed it and painted svastikas on it.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X