Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wtf is wrong with canadians columnist

The Globe and Mail

Bravo!! That's a piece of ****... I just wish canadians(ROC) are not so dumb. To read and approve this ****.

This week, Montrealers were asking: Why us? Youths elsewhere in Canada are addicted to violent video games. Youths elsewhere in Canada live in soul-less suburbs. Youths elsewhere are alienated and into Goth culture. Yet while there have been similar high-school tragedies, all three rampages at Canadian postsecondary institutions occurred here, not in Toronto, or Vancouver or Halifax or Calgary.

"A lot of people are saying: Why does this always happen in Quebec?" says Jay Bryan, a business columnist for the Montreal Gazette, the city's only English-language daily. "Three doesn't mean anything. But three out of three in Quebec means something."

What many outsiders don't realize is how alienating the decades-long linguistic struggle has been in the once-cosmopolitan city. It hasn't just taken a toll on long-time anglophones, it's affected immigrants, too. To be sure, the shootings in all three cases were carried out by mentally disturbed individuals. But what is also true is that in all three cases, the perpetrator was not pure laine, the argot for a "pure" francophone. Elsewhere, to talk of racial "purity" is repugnant. Not in Quebec.

In 1989, Marc Lepine shot and killed 14 women and wounded 13 others at the University of Montreal's École Polytechnique. He was a francophone, but in the eyes of pure laine Quebeckers, he was not one of them, and would never be. He was only half French-Canadian. He was also half Algerian, a Muslim, and his name was Gamil Gharbi. Seven years earlier, after the Canadian Armed Forces rejected his application under that name, he legally changed his name to Marc Lepine.

Valery Fabrikant, an engineering professor, was an immigrant from Russia. In 1992, he shot four colleagues and wounded one other at Concordia University's faculty of engineering after learning he would not be granted tenure.

This week's killer, Kimveer Gill, was, like Marc Lepine, Canadian-born and 25. On his blog, he described himself as of "Indian" origin. (In their press conference, however, the police repeatedly referred to Mr. Gill as of "Canadian" origin.)

It isn't known when Mr. Gill's family arrived in Canada. But he attended English elementary and high schools in Montreal. That means he wasn't a first-generation Canadian. Under the restrictions of Bill 101, the province's infamous language law, that means at least one of his parents must have been educated in English elementary or high schools in Canada.

To be sure, Mr. Lepine hated women, Mr. Fabrikant hated his engineering colleagues and Mr. Gill hated everyone. But all of them had been marginalized, in a society that valued pure laine.

Mr. Gill, by all accounts a loner, was a high-school dropout who lived in his parent's basement in suburban Laval. He was 6 foot 1 with light skin, dark hair shaved at the sides and a penchant for all-black outfits. He had no job, but he owned a car, and he bought three expensive guns, including the Beretta, which retails for about $800 (U.S.).

In an on-line journal nine months earlier, he wrote that the day he planned to seek revenge would be grey. "A light drizzle will be starting up," he wrote.
    bleh

To begin with, they're Canadian.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What do you expect?

You have 'racist' laws and people point the finger at those laws when things go horribly wrong.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Incidently, the writer is from Montreal, born and raised.

This isn't a 'Canadian journalist', this is a Quebecois who is writing about her home town.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm not going to say that I ever felt like killing random people or that alienation due to the chauvinist attitude of much of French Quebec had anything to do with these killings, but I can say that as an English Quebecer I did feel alienated from Quebec. I identify strongly as a Montrealer and as a Canadian, but not as a Quebecer. It's hard to feel intense loyalty to a government which insists on treating you as a second-class citizen.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's hard to feel intense loyalty to a government which insists on treating you as a second-class citizen.
            How, exactly, does it treat you like a second-class citizen?
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I worked in a law firm in Montreal.(Fraser Milner Casgrain, before it was called Byers Casgrain). I remember how the poor english lawman was second class citizen.

But hey,you lived in a place where there was 6 000 000millions french speaking people around you; who are not sharing the same roots than you, who have been conquered 300years ago, and you expect what....
              that you can feel at your home?

But hey, you're right: we are two different nation into one single country

Edit:
              I know there is some linguistic bigotry in Quebec. But the editorial is ****ing stupid!
              bleh

Comment

Quebec is a very ****ed up province with very ****ed up people who **** a lot. 1 out of 3 ain't bad.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

@Asher
                  ... hummm, I think, i have overuse swear words... for this familly gaming site...
                  bleh

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                    I know there is some linguistic bigotry in Quebec. But the editorial is ****ing stupid!
                    It's a different POV, but you have to do more than jump up and down and hold your breath to debunk her.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

but you have to do more than jump up and down and hold your breath to debunk her.
                      yeah, I know, it would be interesting to see the statitics of the new immigrants in Quebec and in the ROC, to see if immigrants are facing the same issue about racism, social exclusion, etc...

And the thing that is the most hilarious, I'm pretty sure it's the kind of girl to affirm that poverty, social exclusion, injustice, are not the cause of terrorism.

But at the same time; that our linguistic law are maybe a cause of these killings.
                      bleh

Comment

I'm sure you're mistaken, sir. Did you read her bio and come to the conclusion she was some sort of right wing wife of Bush?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

@Notyou....

you point right; i've read the bio of Barbara Kay earlier, and maybe, i'm fooling around! i will check now.

That was mis-information: I mixed up these two.

Barbara Kay:

Jan Wong
                          Last edited by CrONoS; September 18, 2006, 00:25.
                          bleh

Comment

yeah, I know, it would be interesting to see the statitics of the new immigrants in Quebec and in the ROC, to see if immigrants are facing the same issue about racism, social exclusion, etc...
                            I can say that an immigrant family to Edmonton would be able to choose to have their children educated in French or English.

And from what I've heard, yes there would be more exclusion in a province that is in the midst of fighting a self imposed linguistic war.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

@Notyou....

you point right; i've read the bio of Barbara Kay earlier, and maybe, i'm fooling around! i will check now
                              The part about emmigrating to Red China and a political marriage there, along with turning in would-be immigrants to the US should be a tip off.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X