• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless

Who am I to argue?

1 hour, 50 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -
    Bob Dylan says modern recordings sound "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc.
    "I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past twenty years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Dylan, who released eight studio albums in that time, returns with his first recording in five years, "Modern Times," next Tuesday.

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle.

"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

Reuters
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I say he cant sing (never could)
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Is he complaining about the sound quality or the quality of the music or both?

A bitter old fart acting like a bitter old fart. Move on, there's nothing to see.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Reads to me like he's talking sound quality of CD's. So I'd say he has a point, old fart or not.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

CDs are just like records. Some are produced well and some are not.
          I've heard some CDs that were fantastic. and others that were awful.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There are fluctuations in quality from track to track tha you can see in the results if ripping to VBR (variable bit rate).

Comment

how come all of Bob Dylan's sound like crap then?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Dylan
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Bob Dylan:

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                    how come all of Bob Dylan's sound like crap then?

The cheese stands alone.

Comment

Yeh, there are some valid criticisms of CD as an audio technology. Not sure that's what he's getting at though.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"Bob Dylan says modern recordings sound "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc."

You don't?

Comment

He didn't describe what was wrong with the technology, though. So it's hard to know what he's getting at. I can guess that he's talking about the jitter that is introduced, but who knows? If he is talking about that, then why doesn't he advocated something like DVD Audio?
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

I think he's a fan of reel-to-reel; but no it doesn't say that.

HA! Beat you to it.

Comment

GIGO seems to come to mind
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X