No announcement yet.

Going to the Gym: The Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work long days, and always find that working out gives me a boost, both in the short term, and in general. Something to do with hormones and metabolism, I imagine. Psychology, as well.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: Going to the Gym: The Run

Originally posted by Sn00py
      And how does it relate to the amount of food I am eating in a day? I eat twice a day, no Fast Foods, but sometimes fried, and usually rice or noodles (I live in Singapore afterall) and I will drink a lot of juice or Ice Lemon Tea throughout the day.
      Eat more often, but smaller quantities each time. I actually snack throughout the day (3 big meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3-4 little snacks in between, but then again, I have trouble keeping my weight on ). It ensures that your body gets used to having its energy strores being replenished often, so it doesn't feel the need to move all your carbs to fat storage once or twice a day.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        I work long days, and always find that working out gives me a boost, both in the short term, and in general. Something to do with hormones and metabolism, I imagine. Psychology, as well.
        My metabolism sucks.. maybe my psychology and hormones as well.

After months of working out, I was feeling great (this was 4 years ago), but I was still having to go to bed early and was sleeping much longer than 6 hours a day.

Jon Miller
        (this is when I would do several hours of weights 3ish times a week and do cardio 5 days a week)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Snacking, as long as you aren't getting too many calories, actually increases your metabolism and so allows for more fat burn.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
            (this is when I would do several hours of weights 3ish times a week and do cardio 5 days a week)
            That sounds excessive. I've heard and read that doing weights for more than 60-80 minutes at a stretch can be counterproductive. Couple that with 5 cardio days a week, and it's no wonder you were exhausted

Comment

Your workouts shouldn't last longer than an hour.

Also, sleeping longer than 6 hours a day is a good thing. Sleeping less than that is bad.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My sleep is all messed up. I will go weeks where I sleep only a few hours a 'night'. I will also go weeks where I sleep 9-10 hours a 'night'. I say 'night' but I don't always mean 'night', recently I have generally went to bed at 2 pm or something and woken up at 8 pm. Not for any good reason, just because when I can fall asleep.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Your workouts shouldn't last longer than an hour.

Also, sleeping longer than 6 hours a day is a good thing. Sleeping less than that is bad.
                  we should all be so lucky. once school starts its going to be a solid 5 hours a night 5 days a week
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I don't understand how anyone can possibly function on 5-6 hrs of sleep a night! Especially when weight training. When I was weight training I needed a lot of sleep every night (9-10 hrs).

The advice that LordShiva gave regarding many small meals a day is right on. I found that working out made my appetite get much larger so I ate more at each of my three meals. This in turn gave my stomach a big load of food to digest, so it made me tired. The solution I found (and read online) was to eat smaller meals but more frequently By doing this I felt the extra energy that people associate with weight training.

For beginners that are getting into weight training the number of reps and sets to do can be confusing. My trainer had told me to do a pyramid scheme routine.
                    For example:

Bench Press

First Set : 80 pounds x 12-15 reps
                    Second Set: 100 pounds x 8 - 10 reps
                    Third Set : 120 pounds x 4-6 reps
                    Fourth Set : 80 pounds x 12-15 reps

By the end of the fourth set you want to be struggling as hard as you can to lift the weight (so adjust the weights according to your strength).

These numbers will change for every person, and also depend on which muscle you are training (this can be used for most exercises) but use this pyramid scheme as a guideline.

Once I get to university I'm gonna start lifting again, and I absolutely can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerh9e1k5
                      I don't understand how anyone can possibly function on 5-6 hrs of sleep a night! Especially when weight training. When I was weight training I needed a lot of sleep every night (9-10 hrs).

The advice that LordShiva gave regarding many small meals a day is right on. I found that working out made my appetite get much larger so I ate more at each of my three meals. This in turn gave my stomach a big load of food to digest, so it made me tired. The solution I found (and read online) was to eat smaller meals but more frequently By doing this I felt the extra energy that people associate with weight training.

For beginners that are getting into weight training the number of reps and sets to do can be confusing. My trainer had told me to do a pyramid scheme routine.
                      For example:

Bench Press

First Set : 80 pounds x 12-15 reps
                      Second Set: 100 pounds x 8 - 10 reps
                      Third Set : 120 pounds x 4-6 reps
                      Fourth Set : 80 pounds x 12-15 reps

By the end of the fourth set you want to be struggling as hard as you can to lift the weight (so adjust the weights according to your strength).

These numbers will change for every person, and also depend on which muscle you are training (this can be used for most exercises) but use this pyramid scheme as a guideline.

Once I get to university I'm gonna start lifting again, and I absolutely can't wait!
                      i function on 5-6 hours a sleep because I was an irresponsible late teen/early 20 year old and have to make up for it now.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

If you are fat dont lift weights, at least not much, the priority is losing weight, once you are thin then think of getting kick ass muscles
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Sn00py:

Stop working out, and instead make Civ4 graphics better

Comment

Not true, lifting weights will burn fast, but a heavier person should focus more on cardio.

Also studies have shown that doing just one set of an exercise is just as effective as multiple sets if done properly.

Recommended was the following:

For strength do 1 set of 8-12 reps at the maximum weight that you can do. Once you are able to complete 12 reps at a certain weight, up it.

For size do 1 set of 18-20 reps at about 60-70% of the above weight. Again up it when number 20 is easy.

Also you guys need to be doing total body workouts. All I see is upper body lifting. You need to work on your core and lower body as well (although running will do a good job on the lower body). I do about 25-30 different lifts during my workout.

Also, don't get into a rut....change things up. You need to not let your body get used to any workout or it becomes less effective.
                            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X