Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    Free weights and no cardio = fat slob
    You can both build muscle and lose fat through weight training alone. Intense lifting burn through loads of fat, but more importantly, by building muscle you raise your metabolic rate, and burn calories throughout the day.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

If you must do cardio and weights on the same day, do the latter first.

Start off your weight training with 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps each for a few weeks, then go down to 3-4 sets of 4-6 reps (increasing the weight accordingly). Alternate every now and then.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

You can both build muscle and lose fat through weight training alone. Intense lifting burn through loads of fat, but more importantly, by building muscle you raise your metabolic rate, and burn calories throughout the day.
        Thanks, I'd like to be able to run well and be strong. No problem doing both. Plus I'll live a lot longer that way.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

4-6 reps seems so small, yes the weight is heavier, but still... seems quite small.

How long would it take to get from slightly overweight to fit with nice toned body?
          be free

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Thanks, I'd like to be able to run well and be strong. No problem doing both. Plus I'll live a lot longer that way.
            But think of the knees

They already don't like it when you squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
              How long would it take to get from slightly overweight to fit with nice toned body?
              If you eat right, too, not long at all. Load up on the protein and whole grains.

Comment

Also remember to have a day off for your muscles. If you work out your arms one day, don't do it the next day. Most weight lifters only lift weights 2-3 times a week.

Additionally, Cardio needs to be done for at least 20 minutes, anything less is worthless. Cardio is good for the heart and blood system, if you just lift weights your Cardio still sucks and you are still unhealthy.

Also, before Cardio or Weights, do a warmup. This should be an increase in heart rate to the point of sweating. The warmup should be 5-10 minutes. Cardio shouldn't be super intense.. you should be able to maintain a conversation during it (if you have a heart rate monitor and are arround 25 years of age, shoot for 150 beats per minute).

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Warmups are overrated. Just do a set of each exercise with a light weight.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

If you eat right, too, not long at all. Load up on the protein and whole grains.
                    Veggies and fruits! Veggies are like no calories for their bulk, and so are the perfect food (pretty much). Also, they have far more nutrients then any other food.

Dieting (and jogging) I went down from 210 to 190 in about a month. I haven't followed my diet too well since, but still have continued to drop down to 180 (after a couple more months, but I went on vacation several times where I didn't exercise or watch what I ate, and even when I am at home I am not dieting really, just watching what I eat a bit). I was following the Eat to Live diet.

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      Veggies and fruits! Veggies are like no calories for their bulk, and so are the perfect food (pretty much). Also, they have far more nutrients then any other food.
                      It's against my religion to eat vegetables

But I make up for them with steak

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                        Hm, so how many sets do you do KH?

How about I do cardio first, then do the run?

I'm trying to lose fat (I'm not actually fat, just got reserves around the waist ) and gain muscle at the same time.
                        Running = cardio... cardio = exercise that gets your heart (and lungs) working hard, so something that's fast - either running or aerobic stretching or something like that. Weight training, outside of very low weights, is not 'cardio' because it shouldn't be getting your heart rate way up. It's for muscle building, which requires lots of oxygen to the muscles (and therefore shouldn't be done just after a cardio exercise that gets you out of breath).
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

woohoo mixed advice!

Ok this is what I am going to do:

1. Everyday I start with a 10 minute run at 7 - 10 km/hr

2. Every odd day of the week I will do weights, 4 sets of 12. However I will increase the weight (by 1).

3. After weights I will run for 20 minutes at about 10 km/hr. If its a day without weights I will just run for 25-30 minutes straight.
                          be free

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            Cardio shouldn't be super intense.. you should be able to maintain a conversation during it
                            Horse****
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is a motivating thread.

You will have us all whipped into shape in no time, KrazyHorse.
                              Elle's site

Comment

For comparison purposes, I run a 4 day cycle:

Day 1: Running. 5 minute warmup at 11 km/h. 24 minute run at 15-16 km/hr. 5 minute cooldown at 11 km/hr. Heartrate in the mid-170s.

Day 2: Running, interval training. Same warmup and cooldown. 3 minute stretches of 18 km/hr spaced by 5-6 minute recoveries of 13-14 km/hr. Repeat for 25 minutes or so. Peak heartrate in the 190s, recovery brings it down to the 170s again.

Day 3: Running. Repeat day 1.

Day 4: Weight lifting. Routine:

3X4-6 dumbbell bench press 75 lbs each arm (3 sets of 4-6 reps)
                                3X4-6 dumbbell shoulder press 65 lbs each arm
                                3X4-6 dumbbell horizontal rows 90 lbs
                                2X6-8 wide-grip pulldown 180 lbs
                                2X6-8 lever rear delt fly 100 lbs
                                2X6-8 dumbbell lateral shoulder raise 35 lbs
                                3X6-8 cable triceps extension (2 hands, pulley gives 2-1 mechanical advantage) 170 lbs
                                3X6-8 barbell biceps curl 100 lbs
                                weighted incline situps
                                weighted back hyperextension
                                end

Start over at day 1
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X