Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which country has produce the best classical music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which country has produce the best classical music?

I'm torn personally between the Russians and the Germans. Of the Russians I particularly enjoy Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky and Tchaikovsky. I like the emotional charge of the Russians, and really the Slavs generally.

My two favorite German composers are Beethoven and Wagner. Unlike some of their countrymen they display a lot of raw emotional power. I like some Bach, but not enough to rate him as a favorite. I prefer Beethoven's storminess and Wagner's soaring mania.

Who am I neglecting? Nominations for other countries and artists are welcome. As things are slow on OT these days comments on the relative merits of Main Battle Tanks are also acceptable.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Re: Which country has produce the best classical music?

Originally posted by Sikander

Who am I neglecting?

Depends on what you're interested in.

As a big fan of choral music (and an ex-choirboy) I have to mention the Tudor English composers such as William Byrd, Thomas Tallis, Christopher Tye, John Taverner et al. English choral music (and English composers and musicians) were famous across all Europe.

Earlier composers I'd mention would be people from the Low Countries and Franco-Burgndians such as Ockeghem, Obrecht, Josquin Desprez, Orlando di Lasso, Guillaume Dufay and Guillaume de Machaut.

Carlo Gesualdo has plenty of emotional power but is similar in some respects to much 20th Century music in his use of chromaticism to express feeling. He did after all catch his wife and her lover in flagrante and kill them, publicly exposing their bodies...
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Is this supposed to be a joke? What are Tchaikovsky, Chopin and Smetana compared to the rest?

(all German)

Comment

Challenger II pwns M1A2 Abrams.
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Guess this classical music thread with file names!!

Comment

Wow Molly, 8 disks for $30! That's a good deal.

Comment

You leave out Italians, such as Niccolò Piccinni.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

France puts in a decent showing with Georges Bizet.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  You leave out Italians, such as Niccolò Piccinni.
                  Meh, he only wrote 80 (!) operas.

Comment

Re: Which country has produce the best classical music?

Originally posted by Sikander
                    I'm torn personally between the Russians and the Germans. Of the Russians I particularly enjoy Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky and Tchaikovsky. I like the emotional charge of the Russians, and really the Slavs generally.

My two favorite German composers are Beethoven and Wagner. Unlike some of their countrymen they display a lot of raw emotional power. I like some Bach, but not enough to rate him as a favorite. I prefer Beethoven's storminess and Wagner's soaring mania.

I'm with the Russians & Slavs. Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky and Tchaikovsky rock. I love a bit of Bach for some serious noodling (no-one told that guy that less is more) but the passion of the Slavs (add Dvorak and Smetana to the above) gets me in the heart.

Unlike Molly, I prefer my Classical music sans vocals, but each to their own.

My favourite restaurant is a Russian, with a violin player doing classical and folk / Jewish music. Live music & good food.

Comment

He wrote over 100 in Italian alone, not to mention French and then became a professor.

Ok. Russia or Germany then. Germany.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I first think of Russia and Germany also..

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Japan. There's nothing like the rapid fire riffs of Nogaku during Noh Theatre.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Canada

I'm not sure we've produced any, but I like Canada
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Typical Canadian remark.

Comment

Working...
                              X