Mel Gibson's anti-semitic rant after DUI arrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molly bloom
    I liked how he apparently thought it would be a good idea to call a female police officer 'sweet t!ts'.

Always a good move when there might be a chance of a strip- or cavity search.

Where's an 'arm's length' smiley when you need it ?

This'll do. Insert:

holy ****, I missed that. That's more offensive than the jew remark (as there are more women than jews in this world)

Comment

The difference is that at no time in history have buddhists acting on behalf of other buddhists or themselves as buddhists ever conducted organized violence against another religion or against those of differing buddhists views. Even the various schisms resulted in little more than a spirited debate.

This is complete bull****. I can hop on a train and be at any number of temples that were burned to the ground by other Buddhist sects within the hour.

From the wikipedia Sohei article that you linked but obviously failed to read...

The armies became larger, and the violence increased, until in 1121 and 1141 Miidera was burned to the ground by monks from Enryakuji. Other temples became embroiled in the conflicts as well, and Enryakuji and Miidera united against Kofukuji, and, another time, against Kiyomizu-dera.

That's just one of many such incidents.
      Last edited by Drake Tungsten; July 31, 2006, 20:58.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
        From the wikipedia Sohei article that you linked but obviously failed to read...

The armies became larger, and the violence increased, until in 1121 and 1141 Miidera was burned to the ground by monks from Enryakuji. Other temples became embroiled in the conflicts as well, and Enryakuji and Miidera united against Kofukuji, and, another time, against Kiyomizu-dera.

That's just one of many such incidents.
        The full text

Warrior monks first appeared in a significant way in Japan in the middle of the 10th century, when bitter political feuds began between different temples, different sub-sects of Buddhism, over imperial appointments to the top temple positions (i.e. abbot, or zasu) Much of the fighting over the next four centuries was over these sorts of political feuds, and centered around the temples of Kyoto and Nara, namely the Todaiji, Kofuku-ji, Enryakuji, and Miidera, the four largest temples in the country. The first armed conflict broke out in 949, when 56 monks from Todaiji staged a protest at the residence of a Kyoto official, over an appointment that displeased them. Protests of this sort continued through the 10th century, often breaking out into brawls in which some participants would be killed. In 970, following a dispute between Enryakuji and the Gion Shrine of Kyoto, the former established the first standing army of warrior monks. It is not entirely clear whether or not this standing army consisted of monks from Enryakuji, or were more like mercenaries, since Ryogen, the abbot who established this army, also established a code of monastic conduct that prevented monks from leaving Mount Hiei during their 12-year training, from covering their faces, and from carrying weapons. In any case, beginning in 981, there were a number of armed conflicts between Enryakuji and Miidera, each the head temple of a different sub-sect of Tendai Buddhism. These disputes were, as before, over political appointments, and dishonorable etiquette. More often than not, these were cases of members of one faction being chosen as the abbot of the other faction's temple, and the monks would protest. This continued, on and off, once stopping for as long as 40 years, through the 11th and into the 12th century. The armies became larger, and the violence increased, until in 1121 and 1141 Miidera was burned to the ground by monks from Enryakuji. Other temples became embroiled in the conflicts as well, and Enryakuji and Miidera united against Kofukuji, and, another time, against Kiyomizu-dera.
        With appropiate words and sections highlighted.
        There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Are you saying that Buddhist temples attacking and destroying other Buddhist temples doesn't count as "organized violence" by Buddhists so long as they had some political motives?
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So the Crusades weren't religious wars, since they were partly motivated by political negotiations between the two churches? And the Spanish Inquisition wasn't religious violence either, since it was quite politically useful in terms of procuring funds...
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
              What's going on on that pic?

Mel's getting an idea of what a cavity search might be like.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue
                Using this analogy, would this make the Nazis in WWII a good example of christianity?
                You do know the Hitler was ant-Christianity...

sure, he got some to go along with him.. but he was against it

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I understand why a Jew in the movie business wouldn't want to do business with Gibson from now on. Since there are a lot of Jews in the movie business, this could be pretty harmful for his career.

On the other hand, he sounds like he was pretty drunk (drunks get passes for despicable behavior from time to time) and he makes great movies. Unfortunately, there are few great moviemakers left in Hollywood.

I probably will go see Apocolypto despite this.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    Are you saying that Buddhist temples attacking and destroying other Buddhist temples doesn't count as "organized violence" by Buddhists so long as they had some political motives?
                    Political motives involving religious appointments in those same temples, no less?

Given the history of the sohei in and around Hieizan, one could certainly see a certain logic behind Nobunaga's barbecue.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Yeah, I used to consider Nobunaga a monster for burning Hiei-zan to the ground. Now I just consider him a heartless bastard who gave the Tendai monks what they probably deserved. They finally ****ed with the wrong guy.

Shame about all those treasures, though...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So, summary... Mel is an asshat?

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                        X