• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France took Rosellon from Spain
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      seeing as most ppl here post when they are at work I won't expect Spiff, or any Frenchie for that matter, to be posting anytime soon... as they never seem to work
      I think the French changed it to "le worque."

Comment

yeah, and they drive there in "le car"
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          yeah didn't they re-name 'internet' and 'email'?
          No for internet, yes for email.

Internet is still internet, but the web has become la toile.

email is courriel. It is in fact a contraction of courrier électronique.
          This one has make a lot of people laugh when the accademy first tried le mel. The idea was keeping more or less the sound, but giving it a french spelling (like they did for gazole).
          It was crazily stupid, because it seemed they were not aware that the english mail came from french malle. Which means trunk. Letters were put in a trunk for travel. And people were waiting for 'the trunk' to receive the news.
          Later, this malle designated, not only the trunk, but also the coach transporting it.
          malle-poste = mail-coach
          What was funny in there was that those old guys in the accademy often claim that 'all those english words already exist in french, it's just that ordinary people don't know them', and here, they had the opportunity to refresh some old french word, to give it a new life and they didn't.

I think the French changed it to "le worque."
          There is no such thing as le worque, but there is well un job for ... a job.

No car either, although I think some quebecois say un char for a car. But only Quebec (if at all).
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

something like 70% of iranian vocabulary is arabic. I'd like to see them getting rid of that!
            But arabic is a blessed language, so no way.
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
              le Weekend
              Godard.

I prefer M. Hulot's Holiday.

Sorry, ' Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot '.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                seeing as most ppl here post when they are at work I won't expect Spiff, or any Frenchie for that matter, to be posting anytime soon... as they never seem to work
                Indeed, I haven't worked in 3 monthes, which is why I've been here so often during that time
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

On topic:

We had a similar debate in France some years ago. The government entrusted the Académie Française (keeper of the official French language since Louis XIV) to come up with suitably French words for use in the administration.

While the administrations did implement these new French words, the common man didn't. Several of these words were ludicrous (for example, CD-ROM was replaced by "cédérom", which sounds nor looks nothing like French).

In the end, nothing significant has changed. The use of unofficial English words always sounded casual anyway, so it's normal that the administrations use other words, that sound important. I don't think Iran will be any different.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                  X