Iranian leader bans usage of foreign words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iranian leader bans usage of foreign words

This jackass would go stark raving mad in the States.
    Anyone feel like revisiting an old discussion about English as USA's official language?

8 minutes ago

TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has ordered government and cultural bodies to use modified Persian words to replace foreign words that have crept into the language, such as "pizzas" which will now be known as "elastic loaves," state media reported Saturday.

The presidential decree, issued earlier this week, orders all governmental agencies, newspapers and publications to use words deemed more appropriate by the official language watchdog, the Farhangestan Zaban e Farsi, or Persian Academy, the Irna official news agency reported.

The academy has introduced more than 2,000 words as alternatives for some of the foreign words that have become commonly used in
    Iran, mostly from Western languages. The government is less sensitive about Arabic words, because the Quran is written in Arabic.

Among other changes, a "chat" will become a "short talk" and a "cabin" will be renamed a "small room," according to official Web site of the academy.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

The guy never ceases to amaze us with his stupidity

I bet "pizza" has an evil infidel touch, so he couldn't let this stand
    Blah

Comment

Keeping language clean.

And he can order his government whatever he wants. He's boss, and an elected one at that.

By the way, do they still sell Freedom fries in the White house cafeteria?

Comment

Those who are against pizza are just wrong

What next, renaming beer?
        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
          By the way, do they still sell Freedom fries in the White house cafeteria?
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

It's simply "fries" now.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Iranian leader bans usage of foreign words

The French have been doing this for years..

Comment

yeah didn't they re-name 'internet' and 'email'?
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yup, they did...to internets.

Don't clog them tubes now, you hear!
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                    yeah didn't they re-name 'internet' and 'email'?
                    L'Internet and le'mail.
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Isn´t it courrier électronique instead of eMail and ordinateur instead of Computer?
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

And if it were so, how would that be bad?

I'm used to the German word Rechner instead of Computer too, mainly because it's shorter and my profession makes me use it a lot. Of course I wouldn't think of saying Elektronische Post instead of email, even though that comparison is unfair as email is an abbreviation.

Comment

People using it like they want is all fine IMO, just regulating it officially is nuts.
                          Blah

Comment

True, but Ahmadinejad isn't forcing his whole people to use his words, but merely officials of his government. This is his good right. Regulations about official terminology exist everywhere, including Germany (and even moreso Europe), and aren't to be confused with a "ban", even though the OP tries to suggest this. A ban would it be, if it would concern all Iranians.

Comment

This is double bad.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X