Measurements of Distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurements of Distance

One of my friends is from a rural area, and one of the things she noticed when she moved to the city was that everyone talked about things being X number of blocks away.

On another note, my friends in southern California have a completely different definition of what "just down the street" means, where stuff is considered nearby if it can be reached in less than half an hour on the freeway. Distance in general is usually measuerd in terms of driving time.

Myself, I consider something to be nearby if its within 10 blocks or about 15 minutes walking, and anywhere beyond where the train goes is "really far".

so what's it like for the rest of you? Is stuff "X number of towns away", "X number of hyperlinks away", etc.?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

My bed is approximately five waters away from my desk.
    B♭3

Comment

It's over yonder.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've aways been baffled by the question, "Is it within walking distance?" "Well, yeah, depending on how far you're willing to walk."

Comment

"Pissing distance", on the other hand... .

Comment

Why can't you just use meters and kilometers like the rest of the civilized world?
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
              Why can't you just use meters and kilometers like the civilized world?
              Corrected
              There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Yeah
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

We say: only a stone throw away, or a cat's jump.

Comment

Only a trebuchet-assisted burning diseased cow's carcass lob away.

Comment

Britain's only been using metric system..about 30 years.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Meters and kilometers are French, and hence the USA will never ever adopt them.

Comment

How about freedoms and kilofreedoms?
                          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Britain's only been using metric system..about 30 years.
                              Moving to the metric system, inch by inch

Comment

Working...
                              X