Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little gem I found over at Amazon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little gem I found over at Amazon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

When browsing the reviews of the book "Islam Unvelied" , I came across this little gem , written by a guy calling himself Mustan . Let me reproduce it here .

American Liars!!!!, July 12, 2006
    Reviewer: Mustan - See all my reviews
    The problem is not with Islam. The problem is in your decadent american hearts. Your culture is filthy and your minds are closed. Allah closes the hearts of those who refuse to see the Truth:

"As for the disbelievers, whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is one for them; they believe not.

Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom."

Sura 2:6-7

You say we are violent but you murder children every day in Iraq, Afganistan, and in Palistine. This blood is on your head.

hasbilmilah
    Note the bolded and italicised sections . The bolded part shows this person's hatred for everything western - "decadent american hearts" , "culture is filthy" , "minds are closed" , etc. .

The italicised part shows the complete unwillingness to honestly look at himself or his beliefs critically , a complete inability at introspection . The thought that there may be something wrong within oneself , that one may need to improve , is never entertained , it does not exist .

This thread exists to discuss four questions : Why does this attitude exist ? What leads to its formation ? How does it gain currency ? And what will its ultimate result and expression be ( other than terrorism ) ? The last question is more important than it appears , because terrorism can only be a passing phase , but the effect of these attitudes on the long-term future of the Muslim world , of the way it interacts with the rest of the world , and how it evolves within itself is not yet understood , and I want that to be explored more fully in this thread .

I'm shocked that this thread started by aneeshm is about Muslims! Though I may need to know more about Hindu civilization to continue on this debate .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

so the complaint here is that someone wrote something stupid on the internet?

i may have to sit down to get over the shock.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
        so the complaint here is that someone wrote something stupid on the internet?

i may have to sit down to get over the shock.
        I have a complaint about something stupid written on the internet. And no, it's not the review on Amazon.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I agree with everything that has been said here, except the OP

Comment

The OP is a question - agreeing or disagreeing would be rather foolish , wouldn't it ?

Comment

Re: A little gem I found over at Amazon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Originally posted by aneeshm
              When browsing the reviews of the book "Islam Unvelied" , I came across this little gem , written by a guy calling himself Mustan . Let me reproduce it here .

Note the bolded and italicised sections . The bolded part shows this person's hatred for everything western - "decadent american hearts" , "culture is filthy" , "minds are closed" , etc. .

The italicised part shows the complete unwillingness to honestly look at himself or his beliefs critically , a complete inability at introspection . The thought that there may be something wrong within oneself , that one may need to improve , is never entertained , it does not exist .

This thread exists to discuss four questions : Why does this attitude exist ? What leads to its formation ? How does it gain currency ? And what will its ultimate result and expression be ( other than terrorism ) ? The last question is more important than it appears , because terrorism can only be a passing phase , but the effect of these attitudes on the long-term future of the Muslim world , of the way it interacts with the rest of the world , and how it evolves within itself is not yet understood , and I want that to be explored more fully in this thread .
              And the underlined part represents all that we don't need to read in this thread, it having already been expressed a thousand different times in every other post aneeshm makes.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Your title has far too many dots and is a clear cut example of third worlders using an unfair amount of resources.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

And what about all those spaces he has abused between the dots ?
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Will someone please actually answer the most pertinent question of the lot - how such tendencies will impact the Muslim world internally ? That is far more important than all the other questions , actually .

Comment

Why do you keep putting extra spaces before your punctuation? This is a far more important question.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                        Will someone please actually answer the most pertinent question of the lot - how such tendencies will impact the Muslim world internally ? That is far more important than all the other questions , actually .
                        Using too many dots will turn the rest of the world against you. That, and blowing people up.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

As long as he doesn't use apostrophes. You can't let the apostrophes get out of control.

I might start a thread about this.
                          What?

Comment

Anyone who expects Amazon customer reviews will actually be helpful is a fool. Are the Civ3 "I can't win on Settler!!!" reviews still up?
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Why does this attitude exist ? What leads to its formation ?
                              It's one manifestation of religious zealotry. You see it in all religions, regardless of whether its Islam, Christianity, or whatever. Any zealot believes his religion has the exclusivity on truth and correctness and that all other religions and all other adherants of other religions are inferior, wrong, decadent, etc.

How does it gain currency ?
                              Cultural isolationism and feelings of frustration and oppression. Once people don't have to deal with reality but can delude themselves with stereotypes, it becomes very easy to deride other people and even hate them en masse.

Muslims in the Middle East seem to be heavily under the influence of this phenomenon. Remember, when the West was in its Dark Ages, the Califates were the premier civilizations of the world. But their Golden Age ended when the Mongols overran Baghdad. Ironcially, instead of embracing what once made them great: innovation, science, and tolerance, they've embraced a distorted version of their history, rebuke the modern world and then wonder why they're getting left behind.

And what will its ultimate result and expression be ( other than terrorism ) ?
                              Backwardness, intolerance, isolationism cannot last. The ultimate expression of Islam will be a moderate Islam that lives in peace with all humanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X