Europe may be drawn into Mideast conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe may be drawn into Mideast conflict

A) No mention of Canda, or the role they might play.
    B) U.N. running the circus? You're screwed.

By PAUL HAVEN, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 1 minute ago

MADRID, Spain - Europe, with its long and often unhappy history in the Middle East, may be drawn into a big role in the proposed multinational force for south Lebanon.

But with troops already stretched from
    Afghanistan to Congo, Europeans are hardly clamoring for another Mideast entanglement. Along with the promise of a stronger European military profile, any involvement in the fight between
    Israel and Hezbollah militants holds the danger of a blow to the continent's credibility.

Italy, Germany, Ireland, France and Turkey have said they are considering joining a U.N.-run multinational force. Britain and the Netherlands appear unenthusiastic.
    (Prime Minister Tony Blair's office says that Britain is unlikely to contribute troops because of its colonial history in the region, and its extensive military commitments elsewhere. Dutch Foreign Ministry spokesman Dirk-Jan Vermeij said his country also had no plans to participate.)

Foreign ministers from across the continent will discuss their options next week at a hastily arranged gathering in Brussels, Belgium.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I hope we go. In fact, as I mentioned in the other thread, the possibility of this has been in the air ever since the conflict started and I have already said, I'm willing to go there.

Most likely I won't be assigned there though but some other more peaceful place, since I have no experience, but these are the cards I'm going to play with if the opportunity presents itself. I encourage every other young man to contribute as well.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

You're a peach, Pekka,
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Re: Europe may be drawn into Mideast conflict

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        A) No mention of Canda, or the role they might play.
        Brilliant, who would have thought of them anyway?

If we do this I'm going to sign up for army, cancel my studies and all

Comment

I don't know what peach means, but I have sent my application forms, they decide if I'm chosen. Odds are if I'm chosen, I won't go there, but if they ask my preference, I say it's there. What can I do? I don't know, most likely nothing.

But at least I've sent the forms so now it's up to them if I go and where they put me. I will accept every assignment, since I have a year of 'free time'. Can't think anything better to do. Then again, even if they choose me, it'll take months until I can go.

As I've said for the longest time, I like military, so I have no problems with 'the life', at least the normal one, who knows what the conflicts will bring in me. I said years ago I want to join a war and do that. Well, my path is now different, however, I still want to join some side, and I choose that side to be UN. It's the puss side but hey, it's the only legal side for me because that's all we do. So.. that's the best I can do right now. And I still want to go. The flame never got put out
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Allah, be merciful to the terrists if Supercitizen goes
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The "terrists", Sava?

Comment

Sava, lol, you know that I'll most likely, IF I GET CHOSEN, will be patrolling some streets and talking to locals and trying to figure things how they can be helped like uuh is there a better way we get the water to the village or some small things like that. ANd then we carry guns doing it, because well.. that's like a perk that comes with the job. Then you get to have these blue things on you, that everyone knows you can be shot and no one will come to aid with bigger guns.

But I figure it's worth it. And if someone draws a gun on me, I'll be doing some shooting if my finger and brains work, it's not like I'm this idealist who loves the world and the people. Nah.. I'll shoot them if I can. Let the history judge me ro something .

But enough talk! I've applied and we see what happens in that direction. I'm not looking to shoot anyone though, that's nto what I'm into. I don't want to kill people. At least not now.
                In da butt.

Comment

Informal. A particularly admirable or pleasing person or thing.

Comment

Thanks

It'll take a lot of time though so the conflict will be most likely over if I get chosen and sent there so... then I have to wait for the 'action commitment' ro what ever you have to sign and THEN you get to go, that should take at least 6 months from this day.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Our government has already said that we don't want to participate. But if the European countries start getting the snot beaten out of them, we'll probably come and save them yet again.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Pekka, where exactly did you apply? I know that in the German army, you can only make a general application for foreign missions without any chance to choose where you go, at least that's what I was told years ago. Do you get a chance to sign up for that particular mission, even before it's clear if there will be one?

Comment

Yeah. I know we'll all sleep easier tonight, knowing Canada is on call.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                            Our government has already said that we don't want to participate. But if the European countries start getting the snot beaten out of them, we'll probably come and save them yet again.
                            By "we" you mean "Americans," right?

Comment

Well.. to the army. I've served there already and I'm now in the reserves, so I sent the application to my local HQ, and they will process it to the international centre or something like that.

Twice a year they take new people in (and boot the old ones), and you will have to go to selection process that lasts for some weeks and there you will do some training etc... then after that is completed and if everything went fine, you wait for a contract, if you get one, you sign it and you are in the reserves that will be used to fill the troop quota in the locations we are.

So basically I think I'm signing up for something I don't know where I'll be going. Could be Africa, could be ME.. who knows.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X