Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's also the World Football thread to stop Lawrence starting up new threads every time something not utterly boring happens in the Swiss league.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss football in all its competing countries, so if something discussion-worthy happens in Italy (for example ), then we'll talk about that, as well as however we see the fates of our respective clubs, no matter which league or country they may play in.

Comment

• It has to be called 'World Football', because the mighty ole You Ess of Aye has it's own sport, also called 'Football'

In that case, why not use the proper name and call it the 'Association Football' thread? 'World Football' is misleading and inaccurate.

I still don't understand why we don't have a 'world Cup (FIFA)' thread. I don't know how anyone else manages it, but I would never have the time to catch up on all the past threads leading up to this World cup. Hell, the last time I logged in, I had to trawl through 17 pages!! of stuff just to catch up on the present thread. That's simply not manageable and I do not expect to have the capacity to keep up with this thread in the future. It's messy and overloaded. Too many interests are being crammed into a single thread.

The FIFA World Cup is the largest sporting event in the world. It atracts a wide base of spectators, far beyond the range of those who follow the day-to day goings on in the sport. It would be nice to have the opportunity to discuss that event here on 'poly. I understand that some die-hard fans of the game might dislike the idea. But while I have no interest in club-level soccer I happen to enjoy international sport - whatever flavour it comes in.

Instead, of having a thread to discuss the World Cup, we have one long succession of continuing threads I could never hope to catch up with. Maybe I'm the only one here in that situation, but does it really make sense that the largest sporting event of all does not have a dedicated thread?

our chief and much-respected overlord here, who is a fan of American Football, has decided otherwise.

You think you've got problems?

El Bastardo shut down the only legitimate 'World Cup' thread here, just because the real World Cup happens to be taking place in Germany this year. :shrug:
      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

• Oh, and,..

Melbourne Football Club established 1858

Football Association established 1863

So let's not waste time on this soccer vs. 'football' silliness, mkay?

(Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be defending mexican bloody basketball)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
          like it or not the wind-up has been part of every friggin' game ever played by humans, aliens or proto-bleedin-zoans for a very long time.
          fixed

Comment

• Come now, Terra.

Your 'threads' were blatant trolls, as I can now see are your posts on this one.

End of chat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
              You really are a character, sir. [/Maltese Falcon]

This is the 'Football' thread, where football is discussed. It started life as banter ground for mainly supporters of English clubs slagging each other off, and all coming together to all moan about how much money Chelsea have got.

It has to be called 'World Football', because the mighty ole You Ess of Aye has it's own sport, also called 'Football', and despite the very obvious fact that the threads on American Football should be called 'American Football' threads, our chief and much-respected overlord here, who is a fan of American Football, has decided otherwise.

That is why we are not allowed to call the Football Thread the Football Thread.
              I love the interesting semi-true histories people come up with . It is named the "World Football" thread because I started the first "World Soccer" thread, with the intention of discussion the game worldwide, even though my original post was discussing English Premier League. I didn't want to limit it to one country or even area of the world. Therefore "World Soccer" thread.

I named it soccer, well, because I'm American. And to prevent Sava from spamming with Chicago Bears picture (some of you know what I mean). After 3-4 iterations, we decided to call it the "World Football" thread because its called football in most of the world. It was just a change of one word from Soccer to Football.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Ming.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Zidane
                He knew damn well what he was doing, he spent some time aiming for his target on the torso before running and hitting him. FFS, he could've actually destroyed the heart of that guy with such a move. And now people are making him the victim by speculating about discussions they've never heard.

Cannavaro

Comment

• Cannavaaaaarrrooo!

Comment

• Comment

• Oh, and Damian Duff .

For those saying he's another Chelsea scrap (after Parker), well, better than not getting a Chelsea scrap .

Though I wonder where he'll play. Change in formation? Or is Solano in a worse shape than we thought. Hopefully not taking N'Zogbia's place!

AND, Newcastle is through to the UEFA CUP after knocking out Lillestrom in the Intertoto!!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                        I think it's interesting that in all the whining and second-guessing about Zizou's head butt, that nobody seems to note that Materazzi was blatantly holding Zidane before the verbal exchange. Bad form to get red carded in OT of the final, but there was no lack of verbal or physical provocation.

Also, I thought it was a bit odd with the time delay, looking like Zizou had got off clean, then having the head butt broadcast in the stadium, then the sudden, magic convenience of "yes, I saw it" and the red card, especially when the ****ing ref never saw Zizou being fouled at any point in the game.
                        You, sir, are being an idiot. There is no excuse for physical assault in football, anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

NO EXCUSE

Comment

• Since the WC, we've already have 4 bloody live games on television, it's not even august for **** sake. Too much is too much. Who cares about Brugge Vs Otherburg or whatnot (and of course, they are advertised as "THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF TEH SEASON!!!!!111".)

Football should be played when it's cold and raining outside (big tournaments being the exception).
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            I love the interesting semi-true histories people come up with . .
                            And there was me thinking that it all came from the Spurs v Newcastle thread.

And I was wrong about Ming. :ducks: It's all Sava's fault!

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                              Since the WC, we've already have 4 bloody live games on television, it's not even august for **** sake. Too much is too much. Who cares about Brugge Vs Otherburg or whatnot (and of course, they are advertised as "THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF TEH SEASON!!!!!111".)

Football should be played when it's cold and raining outside (big tournaments being the exception).
                              Hey, if Twente qualifies for the UEFA Cup, it should be live on TV It's not like it happens every year (anymore)...

And the Arsenal vs Ajax game was well worth watching, especially with the three best players in the history of the game on the same pitch (Although Van Basten was the only one who still remembered how the game is played, Cruijf and Bergkamp seem to have forgotten years ago)

Plus, now the Tour is over, what's the point of living if there isn't any footie on TV at the end of the week?
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
                                [W]hat's the point of living if there isn't any footie on TV at the end of the week?
                                QFT.

You have to have something to look forward to, even if it isn't always the way you'd have hoped things would go (speaking as a Newcastle fan ).

Comment

Working...
                                X