No announcement yet.

Ancient Maritime Culture in the Bahamas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space alien involvement is the only rational explanation.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The West knows jack about the Aztecs, since it was the West that pretty much wiped them and the Inca out. Only 500 years later have we realized what a screw up that was on our part. Men and women acting in the name of Jesus Christ and the kings and queens of Europe destroyed valuable links to human history throughout the Americas.

Basically, we made it so it'll always be difficult to fully understand just how extensive human civilizations were in the "New World" prior to European intervention.

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
        The West knows jack about the Aztecs, since it was the West that pretty much wiped them and the Inca out. Only 500 years later have we realized what a screw up that was on our part. Men and women acting in the name of Jesus Christ and the kings and queens of Europe destroyed valuable links to human history throughout the Americas.

Basically, we made it so it'll always be difficult to fully understand just how extensive human civilizations were in the "New World" prior to European intervention.

Gatekeeper
        BS. "we" didn't do it, "they" as in those people that lived then, did it.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Not only that, but I'm a decendant of a Swiss non banker and therefore totally innocent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            ... a Swiss non banker ...
            Is the job title you're trying not to use "ski instructor?"

Comment

He put those holes in the cheese.

Don't ask how.

Comment

Euuuu. Gross!

Comment

Comment

It is accepted by sane historians that it was 900 years and got turned into 9000 by copying errors.
                    Do they have proof?

This kind of "linguistic" proofs has been given up some centuries ago.
                    Given up by people convinced there were no contacts between the old and new worlds but who cant explain cultural and linguistic similarities. And BS, recent research is building toward a mother tongue of all peoples. Given up centuries ago my ass.

Even if homo erectus were still alive today it wouldn't preclude the possibility that modern humans were descended from homo erectus.

In a sense species do not evolve, populations evolve and speciate into a new species. All it takes to get such results is fragmentation of a population into genetically isolated smaller populations.
                    Of course, evolution is adaptation and species usually dont see the same environment. So what population "evolved"? In this case, the populations migrating the furthest didn't evolve away from homo erectus, part of the population that stayed in Africa evolved.

But from what you've said, none of these stones date even as far back as the time of Plato when the myth of Atlantis is first mentioned
                    And they're evidence of an ancient maritime culture in the Bahamas And the Aztecs were latecomers, but they absorbed Toltec culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                      on a sidenote, the Hobbit people of Flores appear to be mini homo erectus living as recently as 17,000 years ago. We supposedly evolved from erectus 2-300,000 years ago. Something aint right with that picture. I think they've found erectus in Indonesia as recently as 75,000 years ago. Why were erectus in stasis there but making radical leaps in Africa after 1.5 million years in stasis?
                      they were to short to leap?
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

he made a funny

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                          BS. "we" didn't do it, "they" as in those people that lived then, did it.
                          *shrug* The fact remains, though: Because of what Europeans did in the past, we will likely never know the full and true extent of human civilization in the Americas.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think human civilization in the "New World" might be almost as old as in the "Old World." If that's the case, there could very well be remnants of cultures dating back to 5000 BC or earlier.

At any rate, I wish archaeologists and scientists the best in tracking down the answers. They've got their work cut out for them.

Gatekeeper

P.S. It's possible that even if records had survived the European arrival, we wouldn't have a full picture of the pre-Columbian Americas. Humans have a tendency to destroy things, it seems, at the slightest provocation. Still, we'd have more than what we have now, had history turned out slightly different.
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                            Given up by people convinced there were no contacts between the old and new worlds but who cant explain cultural and linguistic similarities. And BS, recent research is building toward a mother tongue of all peoples. Given up centuries ago my ass.
                            No linguistic research has ever revealed substantial similarities between old world and new world languages that go beyond (i.e. on a structural level, based on languaghe-families) some word similarities , which is quite normal even between completely unrelated languages.
                            In the 17th century, using you logics, the Basque descendency of the Incas has been proven...

And I don't even want to start what problems those who claim old world-new world regular contacts can't solve (germs, plant and animal diffusion...).

And they're evidence of an ancient maritime culture in the Bahamas And the Aztecs were latecomers, but they absorbed Toltec culture.
                            What are you trying to say? The Toltecs don't come close to any Atlantis date either. And if you now say that the Toltecs also built on another culture: true, but then again, those were no Nahua-speakers, and didn't you base some of your argument on linguistic arguments?
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

No, the Toltecs dont reach back that far, but like the Aztecs, their culture didn't appear from nowhere. They had their predecessors too... And throwing in "substantial" changes your argument. You said linguists gave up centuries ago trying to show links between cultures and that is BS.

Comment

You should read better. I said this kind of linguistic proofs, i.e. based on mere word similarities.
                                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                                X