Ancient Maritime Culture in the Bahamas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Maritime Culture in the Bahamas

I'm watching this 2 hour documentary on Atlantis and the latest findings on the Sci-Fi channel and investigators at "The Bimini Road" have discovered smaller rectangular stones underneath the much larger capstones seen from the air. These smaller stones appear to be wedge stones used to level the capstones, but the better evidence was found along the other side of the road - anchor stones, lots of them, and some very heavy (like 400 lb). And they can date these stones because they're a composite containing sea shells. The large heart shaped stone was 2,000 years old while a 2nd smaller stone was 500 years old. The Bimini Road appears to be a sea wall for a harbor when sea levels were much lower.

Another investigator looking for Atlantis believes the Mediterranean was landlocked during the ice age and flooded by the rising Atlantic or an earthquake weakening the land bridge at Gibralter maybe 12,000 years ago and that this was the Great Flood. Several thousand years later the rising Mediterranean broke thru at the Bosphorus Straits flooding the Black Sea basin. The anchor stones at Bimini at what appears to be a man made harbor submerged in the Bahamas dating that far back is a major discovery. I wonder if there is a chart showing sea levels going back to the ice age...

Atlantis did exist, basically until it got sucked into another dimension, so now there are only reminants of it. That's why people dissapear in the bermuda triangle. /fact

but you won't believe me. /fact
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

on a sidenote, the Hobbit people of Flores appear to be mini homo erectus living as recently as 17,000 years ago. We supposedly evolved from erectus 2-300,000 years ago. Something aint right with that picture. I think they've found erectus in Indonesia as recently as 75,000 years ago. Why were erectus in stasis there but making radical leaps in Africa after 1.5 million years in stasis?

Comment

The space-time fabric separating differing Earths from each other frays on occasion, allowing "other" histories and artifacts to occasionally end up in "our" timeline, thus accounting for the oddities in not only the fossil record, but human history as well.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I'm watching this 2 hour documentary on Atlantis and the latest findings on the Sci-Fi channel...

You should have left it at that
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

I found this interesting.

According to this theory "Atlantis" was a late Bronze Age culture in Portugal that had important trading ties with the Aegean because of the demand for tin for bronze.

Comment

According to the legend, Atlantis existed 9,000 years before the time of Solon ~600 BC, thats 9,600 BC and close enough to the period of massive post glacial flooding and rising sea levels.
              But it is interesting how the Aztec word for water is "atl", maybe during the ice age the Atlantic was much smaller allowing for easier voyages back and forth and there was contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                According to the legend, Atlantis existed 9,000 years before the time of Solon ~600 BC, thats 9,600 BC and close enough to the period of massive post glacial flooding and rising sea levels.
                But it is interesting how the Aztec word for water is "atl", maybe during the ice age the Atlantic was much smaller allowing for easier voyages back and forth and there was contact.

Isn't it interesting that the Aztec word for hill is "tepetl" and in Turkiush it's "tepe". Clear proof, Mexico should become part of greater Panturkmenistan.
                This kind of "linguistic" proofs has been given up some centuries ago.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

on a sidenote, the Hobbit people of Flores appear to be mini homo erectus living as recently as 17,000 years ago. We supposedly evolved from erectus 2-300,000 years ago. Something aint right with that picture. I think they've found erectus in Indonesia as recently as 75,000 years ago. Why were erectus in stasis there but making radical leaps in Africa after 1.5 million years in stasis?

Even if homo erectus were still alive today it wouldn't preclude the possibility that modern humans were descended from homo erectus.

In a sense species do not evolve, populations evolve and speciate into a new species. All it takes to get such results is fragmentation of a population into genetically isolated smaller populations.

Comment

"the latest findings on the Sci-Fi channel "..................

Anyone else think that EvC needs to stop surfing the TimeCube website?
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

i thought it was clear that Atlantis was the remnant history of ancient Minoa whose decline and fall led to the Cretans leaving their island and raiding and invading the coasts of the eastern mediterrenean, in other words, the Sea Peoples.

There, two mysteries solved!
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                        i thought it was clear that Atlantis was the remnant history of ancient Minoa whose decline and fall led to the Cretans leaving their island and raiding and invading the coasts of the eastern mediterrenean, in other words, the Sea Peoples.

There, two mysteries solved!
                        The sea people most certainly were not Minoans (whose culture went downhill earlier) but a mix of other, mostly indogermanic peoples coming from the Balkans/Greece. They are often made responsible for the decline of the Mycean culture. Some sea peoples seemingly shared some cultural patterns with the Myceans.

OTOH, I also tend to see in the myth of Atlantis some reflection of the end of the Minoans or the eruption of the Santurin-volcano. Though what I recognize most in the Atlantis tale is a utopia, i.e. a "non place".
                        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

According to the legend, Atlantis existed 9,000 years before the time of Solon ~600 BC,

It is accepted by sane historians that it was 900 years and got turned into 9000 by copying errors. 600BC - 900 years = 1500BC, the early Mycenean period.

Comment

Fascinating...so, the Aztecs, whose culture emerged around 1200 AD, managed to retain their word for "water," unchanged, since the ice age, despite the fact that English has taken a little more than a thousand years of change to make Beowulf unreadable to us. Also, based on what you've told us, the Aztecs called their spear-chucking device a "water-water" for some reason. Unless theirs was a language like Chinese where one word can mean several things (in which case the coincidence is much less meaningful), that's very strange.

Plus the Atlanteans ostensibly managed to sustain a major naval civilizaton during the ice age, in a time predating agriculture when most of the coastlines were ice shelves. They certainly had quite an incentive for naval exploration, though, in the form of the lucrative stone hand-ax and pre-domesticated grain trade.

But from what you've said, none of these stones date even as far back as the time of Plato when the myth of Atlantis is first mentioned; these people were so sophisticated, they managed to engineer a harbor several millennia after they were obliterated by a natural disaster. And their story remained pretty much intact over several thousand years, passed down by an oral tradition among the precivilized survivors through several periods of major upheaval.

...Well, I'm convinced.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                              Fascinating...so, the Aztecs, whose culture emerged around 1200 AD, managed to retain their word for "water," unchanged, since the ice age, despite the fact that English has taken a little more than a thousand years of change to make Beowulf unreadable to us. Also, based on what you've told us, the Aztecs called their spear-chucking device a "water-water" for some reason. Unless theirs was a language like Chinese where one word can mean several things (in which case the coincidence is much less meaningful), that's very strange.
                              Yet this bit is true. The device is called atlatl and the word for water is atl. Yet, if you consider that -tl is the common ending of nahuatl nouns, this give "a-" for water and "atla-" for the spear thrower.

Also funny that the Aztec named their origin "Aztlan", an island inmidst a lake. Ha, now take that you skeptic heathen.

Comment

Working...
                              X