Ethnicities and Family Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnicities and Family Genealogy

Earlier today (July 2, Tue) I got a surprise from one of my sisters in an e-mail she sent me. Without the knowledge beforehand except for our mother, my sister got a DNA testing done and found out she is 82 percent European, ten percent Amerindian, and eight percent Asian.

Now, the percentages of each ethnic genes can vary from one sibling to another, right? If so, it still means that all of us in our family, to varying degrees, are predominantly European and partly Amerindian and Asian. I think it's so cool that my sister got this done because before this, some of us in our family have been curious about our ancestral ethnicities but never did anything to satisfy this curiosity until now.

This leads to more questions though. What Amerindian tribe would our family ancestry be a part of? What Asian ethnicity would our family ancestry be a part of? Amerindian and Asian are incredibly broad, blanket inclusions of diverse ethnic groups. But this explains why some of us in my family have a short nose (such as myself) and why others in my family have a somewhat dark skin complexion (such as my mother). It may also explain why I only shave once a week at most, and have no body hair beyond pubic hair (nearly all Amerindians are incapable of growing substantial facial and body hair). Another question is, when did the genetic mixing between ethnicities occur in the prehistoric or historic timeline?

Are some questions impossible to answer? My sister and I have talked about her discovery at length earlier tonight on the phone and she is going to ask some more questions when she calls the company she did the test through, tomorrow.

So, how well do you know your own family's genealogy? How much of an interest do you have in your family's genealogy, if at all? Any interesting facts/stories related to your family's history that your family has passed down?
    Last edited by MrFun; July 5, 2006, 00:41.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Landed from Ireland in Tennessee in 1796. From there made our way to Texas.

Just find out where your people occupied, and what Injins were in that vicinity.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; July 5, 2006, 00:34.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

like Sloww said.

My native american ancestery would be based in the Maryland (Patuxtant river area) area. I have no idea what tribes are in that area though.

As for my european heritage, I'm just going on what family history has been passed down, and the research my aunt has done on the subject. It's all German, English, and French.

Comment

Re: Ethnicities and Family Genealogy

Originally posted by MrFun
        Earlier today (July 2, Tue) I got a surprise from one of my sisters in an e-mail she sent me. Without the knowledge beforehand except for our mother, my sister got a DNA testing done and found out she is 88 percent European, ten percent Amerindian, and eight percent Asian.
        May I be the first to point out that adds up to 108%?
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Re: Re: Ethnicities and Family Genealogy

Originally posted by Jaguar

I didn't bother doing the math.

Comment

uh. 106.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Affirmative Action at work. He gets an extra 6% because he's...an Iowan.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

She is 82 percent European.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Landed from Ireland in Tennessee in 1796. From there made our way to Texas.

Just find out where your people occupied, and what Injins were in that vicinity.

I want my ancestral land back!!

Comment

I corrected my mistake.

So may I be the second one to point out how 88, ten, and eight adds up to 108 instead of 106?

Comment

There's something suitably ironic about that whole exchange. I like it.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

So what about your family genealogy, Jaguar?

Comment

I'm awfully confused.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm a diverse mix of Western Europeans and Eastern Europeans.

That probably means I have some North African/Arab and some Central Asian too. Possibly some American Indian, but I doubt it, because we weren't early immigrants and we were never very far west.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to find Sitting Bull and I are distant relatives.

French part of the family has been here a very long time, and there was a lot of mixing.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X