No announcement yet.

Norad goes on heightened state of alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn´t it also the Cheyenne Mountain Complex where Stargate takes place?
    So perhaps it isn´t the asteroid, but an incoming attack by the Goa´uld.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      There's no chance of North Korea hitting the earth.
      There is, actually, but only if this happens.
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Vandenberg is a missle base.
        There is also some nice pig hunting out there. The base is over run with wild boars.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
          Your nomenclatura makes a lot of sense.
          It was a regular air force base which the air force and nasa now use to launch rockets for both space research and military purposes. It's still owned by the air force though so it is still called an air force base.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think you're a veteran, in the closet. Free yourself!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Jackass! I know that! I was at Travis.
              When were you at Travis?

Comment

74-78
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

U.S. officials: North Korea missile test may be near
                  Fuel trucks, equipment reportedly have left launch pad
                  From Elise Labott and Justine Redman
                  CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Fuel trucks have departed the site where a North Korean missile sits on a launching pad, indicating that a test might be near, two senior U.S. State Department officials said Tuesday.

The removal of the fuel trucks and other auxiliary equipment means the North Koreans may have finished fueling the missile, said the officials, who did not want to be named because of the sensitivity of the information.

Should the North Koreans have completed the fueling "all they would need to do now is press the button," one of the sources said.

The second source said the launch could come Wednesday morning Korean time, which would be Tuesday evening ET.

But both officials said no hard evidence points to a launch coming soon.

"It's the Fourth of July and they know we are watching and they like to play with us," said one official, who has followed the North Korean program for years.

The United States, Japan and other countries are concerned about North Korea's reported preparations for a long-range missile test. The North Koreans fired a Taepodong-1 missile over Japan in 1998, but declared a moratorium on future tests in 1999.

President Bush has warned North Korea that it will face further isolation if it violated agreements by test launching a missile believed capable of reaching the continental United States.

"The North Koreans have made agreements with us in the past, and we expect them to keep their agreements," Bush said last month at the end of a European Union summit.

"It should make people nervous when nontransparent regimes, that have announced that they've got nuclear warheads, fire missiles," Bush said. "This is not the way you conduct business in the world. This is not the way that peaceful nations conduct their affairs."

On Monday, Pyongyang's state-run media carried a report accusing the United States of harassing North Korea and vowing to respond to any pre-emptive attack "with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent."

The White House has dismissed that threat as "hypothetical."
                  North Korea test-fired a long-range missile and five shorter-range rockets early Wednesday, but the closely watched long-range test failed within a minute, U.S. officials said.
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Are you people keeping up with North Korea rhetoric?
                    It isn't ****ing asteroids that has the alert on.
                    Y'know what I think....

There's no military reason to go on alert because even if the North Koreans did something totally wacky, our nuclear arsenal could, with the push of a button, turn their country into a glow-in-the-dark parking lot.

There's no scientific reason to go on alert because we know that the asteriod was going to miss Earth.

There's no practical reason to go on alert, because even if the NK's did fire a shot at us and/or even if the asteroid were going to hit Earth, Vandenburg etc. hold offensive not defensive military weapons. So putting these bases on alter does nothing to protect us.

We're putting on nuclear offensive capability on military alert as a political move -- to remind NK that our nuclear arsenal is bigger than theirs.

Comment

North Korea test launched a missile early Wednesday morning that landed in the Sea of Japan, Japanese media reported.

North Korea launched the missile at 0332 Japan Time and it crashed into the Sea of Japan several minutes later, public broadcaster NHK reported.

NHK said Japanese government officials were trying to determine whether the missile was a long-range ballistic missile that had been readied for launch recently, or whether it was a different missile.

North Korea had been believed to be preparing a test launch of its Taepodong 2 missile, which is believed able to reach parts of the United States.

Officials were not immediately available to confirm the report.
                      Edit: CNN Breaking News - "North Korea has test-launched a missile but not the long-range weapon that the U.S. has been monitoring, sources tell CNN."

Comment

Fourth of July fireworks?
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

More breaking news:

North Korea test-fires at least three missiles, one of them a long-range weapon that the U.S. has been monitoring, U.S. sources say.

View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health at CNN.com.

Comment

Did it just blow up by accident or did we use our phasers?
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Probably accident, nobody reported seeing a giant red line of doom, and accompanying text saying Lazorgeddon!!!. Besides, torpedoes beat lazors.

Comment

Clearly North Korea is happy to celebrate our nation's birthday
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X