Victory in Iraq Nears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory in Iraq Nears

According to yahoo news, 11 insurgent groups have taken the next step in the peace process - they've agreed to cease hostilities if the USA agrees to leave within 2 years.

Bingo, congratulations to the grunts risking their lives. Now lets hope the "neo-con" vision doesn't require "permanent" bases in Iraq... Maybe Iran and the Shia have agreed to take it easy on the Sunnis in exchange for their help getting us to leave. Nah, I think they hate each other more than they hate us...

Anyway, this is great news!

Re: Victory in Iraq Nears

Originally posted by Berzerker
    According to yahoo news, 11 insurgent groups have taken the next step in the peace process - they've agreed to cease hostilities if the USA agrees to leave within 2 years.

Bingo, congratulations to the grunts risking their lives. Now lets hope the "neo-con" vision doesn't require "permanent" bases in Iraq... Maybe Iran and the Shia have agreed to take it easy on the Sunnis in exchange for their help getting us to leave. Nah, I think they hate each other more than they hate us...

Anyway, this is great news!
    I seriously doubt the Bush admin would ever allow itself to pay any attention to any offer the insurgents might make no matter how reasonable those offers may be.

Comment

Two years will give the new Iraqi army time to train up and the government to get established.

What are the conditions, just the 2 year US pullout?
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The Congress turned down an amendment to the last Iraq spending bill which would have outlawed the contruction of perminent bases in Iraq.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

don't we already have basis in kuwait including an island with excellent facilities for prepositioning equipment? wth would we want bases in a ****hole like iraq?

Comment

It also gives 2 years time for insurgents to build up and gain more strength. What are they offering in return besides this? Plus it's 11 groups, what if few of them grows impatient?

Nah, I think this is mostly a sign of weakness. I would strike them right now and turn up the heat.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              It also gives 2 years time for insurgents to build up and gain more strength. What are they offering in return besides this? Plus it's 11 groups, what if few of them grows impatient?

Nah, I think this is mostly a sign of weakness. I would strike them right now and turn up the heat.
              Yeah but when can the coalition troops ever, you know, go home? Your plan sounds like another extension to an already long and ugly occupation.

Comment

And you want to give time and space to insurgents and think they are for peace? Man, I think there is this bridge.. no fool me twice.. anyway, the message is, don't believe what they are trying to sell you.

If they are so beaten now that they want peace, then we should strike them now and keep fighting. Or why would they want peace? I say they're weak now.

When can the coalition troops go home? When they can guarantee insurgents won't take over once they leave. And no, Iraqi army can't hold them down now or in the next 2 years.

Strike them now, kill all you can get buffet is open.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

This is promising news, but many of the major insurgent groups in the western areas of Iraq aren't a part of the cease-fire offer. A plan like this would be DOA if significant Sunni insurgent groups refuse to go along with the deal. Good to see that Maliki's political efforts are having some success, though.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Peaxce process?

Didn´t Bush jr. already declare that the war in Iraq is over almost 2 years ago?
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

When my dad heard about the rumored amnesty offer a few weeks ago, he said something like, "Huh...'kill all the foreigners you like, we'll forgive you,' we're teaching them to think like Republicans already. Mission Accomplished."
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I think the insurgents are also asking for compensation for all their members that were killed by coalition troops and also for compensation for all property damage caused by coalition troops.

This offer is a non starter IMO.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

They prolly killed their own relatives by accident also and destroyed the neighbourhoods as well. They shouldn't be considered as candidates for 100% compensations. In fact they shouldn't get any compensation directly, negotiations such as rebuilding of areas might be something to consider, but no money to anyone, especially insurgents.

And as the things are right now, it's Roll time. It's not 'uh we do like peace after all'. Forget that. It's operation Iraqi Freedom, so now is a good time to pursue that and crush the insurgent strong holds as much as possible since they are weak.

Or did everyone just turn ***** now? Looks like it.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Is that yet another corner?
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yey insurgents who have more US interests in mind than Demonrats.

Insurgent plan. Pull out troops in 24 months and we (insurgents) stop fighting.

Demonrat plan. Pull out troops within 18 months with no assurances of ceased hostilities.
                              Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; June 29, 2006, 10:41.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X