I Am No Longer a Republican ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am No Longer a Republican ...

... because I simply got tired of how the control freaks — especially the religious right and neo-cons — have taken over the party at all levels: national, state and, most distressing, local.

I registered as a Republican as a senior in high school, during the first President Bush's buildup during Desert Shield (which, as we all know, later became Desert Storm). I wasn't as wise then as I was now, but even then, looking back, there was still a possibility that the moderate Republicans could hold their own, or even stage some sort of comeback. Well, the passage of 16 years has proven me wrong. The religous right and neo-cons are firmly in control and likely will remain so into the foreseeable future. There's no room in the "big tent" for former Republicans like me — conservative when it comes to fiscal issues, but more moderate on some social issues, including abortion and gun control.

In recent years, I've also grown more and more alarmed at the ever-increasing role of the federal government in the daily lives of the average man, woman and child — especially since the nightmare that was Sept. 11, 2001. I'm getting nothing but bad vibes, with one example being the "signing statements" that Bush has used on legislation Congress has sent his way. He has used them *hundreds* of times, the most of any president, and I fear that's damaging Congress, and institution already being undermined by the majority of the Republicans there who seem to be content playing lapdog to the executive branch of the federal government.

My disappointment with the Republicans runs deep, but by no means does this mean the Democrats get a free ride in the sympathy department. Hardly. To me, they're just the flip side of the same coin. Regardless of party affiliation, it seems there are very few statesmen and stateswomen anymore. It's all about keeping the bases happy — and more often than not, the bases are the extremes — raking in the money for re-election campaigns and schmoozing with interest groups. All of these elements have a role in democratic system of government ... but, damn, it seems it's all out of whack, that these elements are taking bigger chunks of the pie than they should be.

Maybe it's silly, but I implore my fellow Americans to become more active in how they're governed. Read the newspapers! Listen to the newscasts! Follow developments on the Internet! In a word, *know* what your leaders and the interest groups — at *all* levels — are doing! Don't let them pull the wool over your eyes with non-issues while the city is burning down around you! Become educated and informed, because it's those two things that will save you from a future where America becomes a velvet-gloved police state of sorts.

If you're a foreigner, the above advice applies to you as well.

*sigh* OK, enough from me for now. I needed to get this off my chest; if you've read this far, thanks for wading through. You're home free, now.

Gatekeeper

P.S. Oh, and I registered as an independent ... although I was tempted to go Libertarian for a minute or two.
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

I was tempted to go Libertarian for a minute or two
    Its the ooonly waaay to fly

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Its the ooonly waaay to fly
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Berz, Ogie:

Well, maybe when I'm older. As I age, I seem to be getting more and more "stay the hell out of my business, and I'll stay the hell out of your business as long as you're not trying to control others" mentality.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Cool, so there's an opening?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Back off, man. I've been sacrificing children to Karl Rove for years now. That spot is mine...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Welcome to sanity!

Now you don't have to be a dirty filthy communist pinko (etc etc) hippy(ALWAYS include hippy!) but once you admit that the Republican party are filled with douches who have betrayed their own constituents to big buisness and don't follow a single value they promote.... once you've done that, you've joined American Democracy.

Welcome.

Oh yeah, you don't even have to be a Democrat!

Comment

I'm older and it's just another term for anarchy.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                  Become educated and informed
                  it seems so easy, doesn't it?

but that's the problem... everything else, the corporations buying votes, the lobbyists, all the corruption, everything that's wrong with our government... all of that stuff is just symptoms of the real problem:

Ignorance.

Most people are too busy trying to get by. For whatever reason, some people don't have time to stay informed, to be active. Others don't care. Everyone just seems too busy. But nobody realizes that if they just stopped to look and see what is going on and worked to fix what is wrong in our society, maybe we wouldn't have to work so hard just to get by. Maybe all our lives would be a lot easier if our government wasn't so corrupt and inefficient... if there weren't people trying to fleece the American people.

It's a giant catch-22... and that's why the cycle is so hard to break. Maybe things will slowly get better... maybe not.

I hope they do.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

the uniformed voter should just vote for the party not in power then. its easier.
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Comment

Anyone with an internet connection can learn the truth, or at the least, learn that what they think now, is not the truth.

Hell, turn on Air America Radio to get an alternate viewpoint.

Comment

There aren't many places where you can listen to Air America anymore.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                            There aren't many places where you can listen to Air America anymore.
                            yeah, the internet is being taken offline... slowly but steadily
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Air America is on the internet now? That's a smart move, given that they're running out of actual radio stations willing to carry them.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X