No announcement yet.

Great Engineering Feats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Millau Viaduct in France. I saw a documentary on it's construction - freakin' amazing.
    Attached Files
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

A wider shot.
      Attached Files
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I was just looking for pictures of that one:

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Spaghetti Junction, Birmingham, W.Mids
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The Millau Viaduct in France.
              Holy crap.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

The Millau Viaduct in France. I saw a documentary on it's construction - freakin' amazing.
                  Too true

Also the St. Louis Arch --the 4th most visited manmade structure in the world!

Comment

I've seen the St. Louis Arch. I honestly found it to be underwhelming.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Its the bricks

In some sections of the Great Wall, they used bricks that are an engineering marvel. They are much stronger than any building material invented until this century.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The Hong Kong International Airport

It's almost entirely built on reclaimed land

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This series of NASA videos captures engineering far beyond what is known to us here on earth, or, at the very least, far beyond what we are being told about.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                            Leonardo's Workshop

The Hoover Dam, in addition to being an impressive structure, was also built ahead of schedule AND under budget. Now that's impressive!
                            To be fair, it's easy go under budget during massive deflation.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Then one morning, Thomas Alva Edison walks into his lab, hands a sketch of a machine to one of his assistants and tells him to build it.

"What'll it do??" asked the aid.

"It will talk back," replied Edison. And so the phonograph was born.

Comment

Meucci invented the telephone and he got robbed! Everybody knows that!
                                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                                X