Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    The Great Wall

So you can build a wall with slaves, big deal.

It is in no way technically impressive, it's impressive only on its large scale of a very dumb idea.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Colossus of Rhodes
      I changed my signature

Comment

Slaves or no slaves, they're all people.

I usually agree with you Asher, but the Great Wall is massive in length and overall size. It is definitely a great feat. Especially considering it traverses over hills and rocky jagged mountains. I'd say the Great Wall would be the next to rival The Pyamids. Which mind you, was also built by slaves.
        be free

Comment

The Pyramids involved fancyish engineering. The Great Wall is just a wall, a really long one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
            Slaves or no slaves, they're all people.

I usually agree with you Asher, but the Great Wall is massive in length and overall size. It is definitely a great feat. Especially considering it traverses over hills and rocky jagged mountains. I'd say the Great Wall would be the next to rival The Pyamids. Which mind you, was also built by slaves.
            There is nothing technically amazing about the wall. It was likely very expensive, but it's a frickin' wall.

Doing something mundane on a large scale is not a great feat.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I say the US should build a slightly taller wall on the border with Mexico and it would be teh GREATEST ENGINEERING FEAT EVAH!

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                The girl in the middle, correct?
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

If you thought the wall was worthless, I can't imagine what you'd think of the Taj Mahal, The Pyramids, The Collosus...

Infact.. come to think of it, practically every engineering feat before 1900 must all be a complete waste of time?

The Great Wall did actually HAVE an important purpose yknow? It was to keep those damn Mongols out, and they never attacked, so whether the Mongols were going to attack or not; the Wall just may have saved the Chinese arses.
                  be free

Comment

Mongols.

Comment

Building anything of that size is not only a great feat of engineering - ie, making sure it doesn't FALL DOWN ... Tacoma Narrows anyone? ... but also a great feat in organization. Slaves or not, they're still people, and making sure all of the people are doing the right thing in the right place, for THAT FRICKIN' LONG ... and having the dedication to do that huge of a thing ... not to mention the supply train that needs.

I'm quite impressed. I'd love to see you do better with your own group of slaves
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

On a related note, I'm pretty sure the Mongols did eventually attack .... (Though the great wall in its current form was created during the post-mongol Ming dynasty, it'd been around for a LONG time before that...)

(And you could argue that the Manchus had a good bit of mongol blood in them, iirc)
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Leonardo's Workshop

The Hoover Dam, in addition to being an impressive structure, was also built ahead of schedule AND under budget. Now that's impressive!
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            Building anything of that size is not only a great feat of engineering - ie, making sure it doesn't FALL DOWN ... Tacoma Narrows anyone? ... but also a great feat in organization. Slaves or not, they're still people, and making sure all of the people are doing the right thing in the right place, for THAT FRICKIN' LONG ... and having the dedication to do that huge of a thing ... not to mention the supply train that needs.

I'm quite impressed. I'd love to see you do better with your own group of slaves
                            You seem to be forgetting this is about great engineering feats. From an engineering perspective, the wall is absolutely mundane and ordinary.

Comment

if the wall is mundane, then you would have no problem going over there and pissing on it.

Comment

not on as large a scale as some of yall picks but a modern fighter jet is an insanely complicated piece of engineering:

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X