Great Engineering Feats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Engineering Feats

This is inspired by the skyscraper thread. I always find reading about great engineering feats inspiring. I can spend quite some time reading about dams, bridges, towers and even highways if they're at least a bit "grande".

Any suggestions?

Chernobyl.

Comment

highways? such as the autobahn?

I'm partial to the Hoover Dam, but only because it's so close to my home town. It's been trumped many times over. But it's still cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Chernobyl.

I'm partial to this one having been in the navy nuclear power program.

Comment

This:

Got hit by 20 artillery shells and one V-2 rocket during WW2, but stood strong. They should've asked Belgian engineers to build the WTC.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

More seriously, I'm always impressed by highway interchanges. When I see one is when I feel most aware of mankind's organisational skills.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
              More seriously, I'm always impressed by highway interchanges. When I see one is when I feel most aware of mankind's organisational skills.
              not if you seen the crappy ones in Las Vegas.

Comment

That's cuz you don't have Belgian engineers.

Comment

meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Here's another engineering feat, the world's biggest ship elevator (or at least it used to be, I believe they recently build a bigger one elsewhere). As big a white elephant as it can get. Utterly useless, but impressive.

Comment

Comment

god bless america!
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The Great Wall
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                              X